Inserter Directional Modification

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

geofurry
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Inserter Directional Modification

Post by geofurry »

The insterters currently in the game take an object from one square and moves it to the square opposite of the starting position. In larger and more complicated systems, this can lead into some organization issues and result in wasted space. In this image, there are three squares that I am not utilizing.
In this setup, the inserters create an area that cannot be used in this situation.
In this setup, the inserters create an area that cannot be used in this situation.
Straight.jpg (176.11 KiB) Viewed 8568 times
However, if i were to set the output to the right it would allow me to pull the conveyor belt down and allow for every space to be used effectively.
Changing the direction allows for every square to be used and give a whole new row for future expansion.
Changing the direction allows for every square to be used and give a whole new row for future expansion.
Turn.jpg (174.79 KiB) Viewed 8568 times
If this seems too advanced for the early game then perhaps the direction could be changed using a new module (add a red module).

One slight variation or add-on to that would be to reverse input and output. In the logic network, a smart inserter could be triggered to reverse if a certain condition is met. This frees the player from having to create more than one inserter to take things out of and put things into a chest.

Please provide feedback as to your thoughts on this subject. My hope is to grab the attention of the Developers or at least a person who would be able to make a mod for this. Thanks :)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Inserter Directional Modification

Post by Koub »

Hi,

Th 90° inserter in one of the most discussed topic over time, but the devs have already stated a new type of inserters was not planned.

Now, to address your unoptimized worries, space is rarely such a scarce ressource that gaining 3 tiles would matter. Moreover, the setup you demonstrate with is incomplete : you have no inserters to fill your assembling machines from the belt. This would use up two more of your 3 "wasted spaces". And you could use the last one for a lamp :).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Moved.
@all: Nice explanation. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”