Triggered Machinery

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

omega_haxors
Inserter
Inserter

Triggered Machinery

Post by omega_haxors »

Simply put, the ability to either make or set single-pulse mode for all machinery, allowing for manual logistical control over the circuit network. For example, I want to be able to insert a single item into a chest after crafting exactly as many items as I need beforehand. Right now, this is almost impossible without large setups since inserters will go off as long as they are online, and you cannot guarantee that the time it is online will cause a resource to be processed.

It could be as easy to implement as a "Run x operations when activated" button on the GUI. When it reaches the set amount of actions it would go offline until reactivated by the player, by the circuit network, or perhaps by something else.

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Triggered Machinery

Post by MasterBuilder »

One way would be to give assemblers and the like an 'on/off' wire connection (wired network), and simply default to 'on' if nothing's connected.

I then realized we have a much simpler way to do this, albeit less perfect:
For assemblers, smart inserters would be able to do this just fine. i. e. Insert resources into assembler while <1 X is in the network. Once X is made resources will stop being provided. (This may cause one or two additional items to be made since the inserter will stack materials while the assembler is running.)

By 0.13 (hopefully) we should have toggleable pumps which should do the job for refineries, chemical plants, etc.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

this is already possible, by making some use of circuits.
With 0.12 much easier. With 0.13 no problem.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

omega_haxors
Inserter
Inserter

Post by omega_haxors »

ssilk wrote:this is already possible, by making some use of circuits.
With 0.12 much easier. With 0.13 no problem.
Sure it can be done but the issue arises from two small things:

1) It cannot be guaranteed that an item is processed without forcing the machine to only work with one type. At that point, the system becomes so inflexible that one would have to build a lot of these just to get any amount of anything done.

2) Due to the automation logic of inserters, there's no way to control an inserter to put more than 5 of a resource into a machine, or to pick up a items at a certain speed. AFAIK there's no way to change this.

I do hope the new updates can open up new possibilities for overriding the existing automation.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

omega_haxors wrote: 2) Due to the automation logic of inserters, there's no way to control an inserter to put more than 5 of a resource into a machine, or to pick up a items at a certain speed. AFAIK there's no way to change this.
use fast inserter to put the item on the ground and the smart inserter to put it in the machine, takes a bit more room but guaranteed to put in items 1 at a time

omega_haxors
Inserter
Inserter

Post by omega_haxors »

ratchetfreak wrote:
omega_haxors wrote: 2) Due to the automation logic of inserters, there's no way to control an inserter to put more than 5 of a resource into a machine, or to pick up a items at a certain speed. AFAIK there's no way to change this.
use fast inserter to put the item on the ground and the smart inserter to put it in the machine, takes a bit more room but guaranteed to put in items 1 at a time
Thanks. It will have to do for now.

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”