Replay Migration

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

_Bluestone_
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Replay Migration

Post by _Bluestone_ »

TL;DR
It's super easy to break and lose all replay data of a save. Please implement a migration feature for the replays.
FactorioBetaByeBye.gif
FactorioBetaByeBye.gif (5.27 MiB) Viewed 1202 times
What ?
Whenever the game version gets updated (possibly by the dev removing a beta branch from Steam) or the modlist is being changed, replays break super easily.
The other day a friend wanted to just continue their save file without losing the replay. But the version he played on was no longer available. Well there goes that timelapse.
So I suggest a feature to keep the data intact when migrating a save.
Why ?
A feature like this will help with content creation (mostly for cool timelapses) and therefore increase the quality of Factorio overall.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Replay Migration

Post by Rseding91 »

This is insanely impractical to do. A replay only works if the game produces the exact same results as when the replay was created. Bug fixes, new features and tweaks, mod additions and removal all change what would happen if you tried to run the same actions through the game again.

Replays will only ever work on the version they are created on.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Replay Migration

Post by jodokus31 »

I have several tipps to maintain a replayable savefile:

- Use standalone factorio version, not steam version. No forced updates through steam
- Never update mods or change startup settings.
- If you absolutely have to update something, you can:
>* (place the inventory of the current character in a chest before updating)
>* backup the whole factorio folder and use it further to replay your save until now
>* Update factorio/mods, then load and save the the savefile once to update it. (replay gets broken, but you have the backup)
>* Then go to "Map Editor" -> "Convert save" and choose the updated savefile to create a scenario
>* Start a new game based on the scenario with replay enabled.
>* (pick up the chest with the inventory of the old character)
>* You can continue and replay since update.

Advantages:
- Replays don't get so bad ass long. Navigation is easier, when you only can go forward while replay. Esp. if the base is big and high playback speed is not possible due to UPS limit.
- Replay data gets cut and savefiles are smaller

Disadvantages:
- Achievements are scuffed, since you have to spend more than 50% of the former playtime to get counted again.
- Splitted replays must be merged
- Since you start with a new character, you start at the middle of the map with nothing. You can place the inventory of the former character in chests and pick it up with the new character. I'm also not sure, if personal research exists like mining speed or logistic trash slots, which must researched again for this character.

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”