Could logistic bots please choose the closest box?

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Sasuga
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Could logistic bots please choose the closest box?

Post by Sasuga »

I put storage chests around my map so that the logistic bots can use them, and yet the logistic bots will make long distance treks to drop off items that I've trashed in my inventory.

I don't understand why they're wasting time and electricity to travel long distances to drop off items when there's a completely empty storage chest only a short distance away from my character.

Having logistic bots look for the closet chest to dump items into would save electricity, which saves resources, and would save time. I believe saving time is the point of the logistic bots, they're there to add a level of convenience. Having to wait for them to make a long-distance round trip makes no sense to me, and it would make more sense if they choose the closet storage chest (Or buffer chest or Requester Chest when it makes sense) that has room in it to dump items into.

Thanks!

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Could logistic bots please choose the closest box?

Post by Loewchen »

Bots need to sort items into storage chests by type, otherwise they would get filled up with random assortments of single items.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Could logistic bots please choose the closest box?

Post by ssilk »

I can recommend not to spread storage chests around the map, but concentrate them into the “center of production and logistics”. This reflects the idea behind them: having some kind of “storage”, which can be extended.

You can spread supply chests around the map, but not storage (or only in the beginning, when you have only storage chests for logistics). And this is also limited; at some point the with robotics/logistics covered area gets to big, then you need to split up your robotic/logistic network to make it fast enough again.

There is also a very strong problem with CPU arising, if every item needs to be looked around by distance, instead of looking into the storage.

moving to won’t implement
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”