"Soft" mode for filtering splitters

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Defective_Soul
Inserter
Inserter

"Soft" mode for filtering splitters

Post by Defective_Soul »

TL;DR
Make spliters with filter be able to passtrough filtering item and move only excessive filtered item go on filtered output
What ?
In currrent state if i wana split one line the only way wich i hawe is to use this thing
or hawe dedicated belt, wich not always cool
So, why not just make splitters hawe two filtering modes, "hard" & "soft"
Hard will be same as now, it not gonna pass any filtered item on non-filtered output
While soft gona allow filtered staff pass and move only excessive filtered items to filtered output (like when splitte unable to put more filtered item on non-filtered output)
Why ?
Because we can hawe moar features in baseline game
It will be nice to don;t use those dual-spliter thing from pic
It will allow a way more flexible belt system because players will be able to make overflow-belt systems

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: "Soft" mode for filtering splitters

Post by ickputzdirwech »

You can do this already, this is how: Instead of filtering for steel, the first splitter should have an output priority to the right. Remove the second splitter and put the underground belt directly in front of the right side of the first splitter. Because the copper is blocked by the side of the underground entrance only the right line with the steel will pass through.

(I can’t make you a picture right now unfortunately)

This is of course still more complicated than the solution you suggest, but it makes for a more interesting puzzle imo.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

Defective_Soul wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:29 am
Make spliters with filter be able to passtrough filtering item and move only excessive filtered item go on filtered output
I'd say just separating output priority and filtering would make more sense. But I'm not sure either should happen because of the "interesting puzzle" aspect mentioned by ickputzdirwech.
In currrent state if i wana split one line the only way wich i hawe is to use this thing
A single, unfiltered splitter and underground entrance/exit to block one side of the belt is an alternative in this case, already described. Another is to have an unfiltered splitter before a filtered splitter (instead of filtered before unfiltered, plus side-loading, as in your image). Output priority on the unfiltered splitter can (optionally) be used to control which way only gets excess in either case.

Defective_Soul
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Defective_Soul »

ickputzdirwech wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:38 am
You can do this already, this is how: Instead of filtering for steel, the first splitter should have an output priority to the right. Remove the second splitter and put the underground belt directly in front of the right side of the first splitter. Because the copper is blocked by the side of the underground entrance only the right line with the steel will pass through.

(I can’t make you a picture right now unfortunately)

This is of course still more complicated than the solution you suggest, but it makes for a more interesting puzzle imo.
IMHO i think that belt entrance trick is just a bug wich developers a little afraid to remove sinc it get used by players and they not hawe althrnative

Also what if i will wish to get exxessive stuff from both lines huh ? Andi will be limited to 4x3 !

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

Defective_Soul wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:49 pm
IMHO i think that belt entrance trick is just a bug wich developers a little afraid to remove sinc it get used by players and they not hawe althrnative
The belt underground graphics explicitly show a hole in the side of the entrance for sideloading. Regardless of whether it was originally intended or not, that pretty clearly shows it has been considered a feature for over three years.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

I’m actually good with it as is/without this feature. There are obviously some mechanics in place for puzzle reasons. The solve for this puzzle is not complex at all, and there are multiple ways of dealing with it. To simplify it even further, IMO, is unnecessary.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

Defective_Soul wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:49 pm
Also what if i will wish to get exxessive stuff from both lines huh ? Andi will be limited to 4x3 !
Then you just use a single splitter with output priority set to the other side from where you want the excess, but no filter.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I recommend reading https://wiki.factorio.com/Belt_transport_system and all other linked belt/splitter/underground pages, there are really many examples on them.

moved to won’t implement, because — as mentioned — this suggestion would remove a lot of Factorio’s puzzle gameplay, so it would decrease gameplay-value
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”