Request for array of bouding boxes in surface.chart

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ever_Lord
Inserter
Inserter

Request for array of bouding boxes in surface.chart

Post by ever_Lord »

Hello,
TL;DR
I wonder if sending an array of bounding boxes in <<surface.chart>> would be faster than calling it multiple times.

What ?
In scenario "Biter Battles", we have an option to spy opposite force terrain. Actually, it loops over players of one force and chart it to other force with multiple calls of surface.chart(bounding_box).
As I am about to improve so they also see radar coverage, it may end in slowing down the game, so i'm wondering if we could call surface.chart within array of bounding_boxes.

Note : we don't want to use mods at all (for now).

Thanks!

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Request for array of bouding boxes in surface.chart

Post by Klonan »

ever_Lord wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:52 pm
Hello,
TL;DR
I wonder if sending an array of bounding boxes in <<surface.chart>> would be faster than calling it multiple times.

What ?
In scenario "Biter Battles", we have an option to spy opposite force terrain. Actually, it loops over players of one force and chart it to other force with multiple calls of surface.chart(bounding_box).
As I am about to improve so they also see radar coverage, it may end in slowing down the game, so i'm wondering if we could call surface.chart within array of bounding_boxes.

Note : we don't want to use mods at all (for now).

Thanks!
Unless it starts showing up in some profiling, I don't think it would make sense, throwing the bounding boxes to the game isn't really doing anything so theres no much overhead

Also the chart coverage has a timeout of 300 ticks, so you could spread the charting over that time period if you were extra concerned

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Request for array of bouding boxes in surface.chart

Post by ssilk »

moving to won’t implement
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”