Can the limit of maximum 64 connection distance of poles be lifted

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Can the limit of maximum 64 connection distance of poles be lifted

Post by FuryoftheStars »

ssilk wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:46 am
Ptx0: I don’t think that was the point. Connection limit is about distances, not coverage.

In general I would say this won’t be implemented, especially because a hard coded limit has been build in to prevent the game from dying. A modder cannot estimate how long a graphics card in an older computer will need to draw such a long wire. Things that take nanoseconds on his machine can take some milliseconds on another.

therefore moved to won’t implement
If you read through everything, it sounds like they really wanted the ability to just place one pole and it covers the entirety of their base.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

ssilk wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:46 am
Ptx0: I don’t think that was the point. Connection limit is about distances, not coverage.
yeah i guess they need high ore frequency and build everything on top of one spot.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:57 am
If you read through everything, it sounds like they really wanted the ability to just place one pole and it covers the entirety of their base.
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/EditorExtensions
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

sdgmlj
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

It is suggested to change the maximum connection distance limit of electric poles to 128

Post by sdgmlj »

Normally, "maximum_wire_distance" should be twice as much as "supply_area_distance" (maximum_wire_distance = supply_area_distance * 2), because if both values are set to 64, half of the areas will overlap.

Sorry to bring up the old story again, because I just don't like poles

sdgmlj
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: It is suggested to change the maximum connection distance limit of electric poles to 128

Post by sdgmlj »

Now it's 2022. Most people's computer configuration is very high. We can't measure the game by the standards of a few years ago. It's time to relax the restrictions appropriately :D :D :D

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: It is suggested to change the maximum connection distance limit of electric poles to 128

Post by FuryoftheStars »

If you want to continue the discussion, use your original thread from 2 months ago (when it was already 2022), not start a new one: viewtopic.php?f=71&t=101098
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged both identical suggestion threads.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

sdgmlj wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:22 pm
Now it's 2022. Most people's computer configuration is very high. We can't measure the game by the standards of a few years ago. It's time to relax the restrictions appropriately :D :D :D
While most people may have state-of-the-art computers, that doesn't mean that all people do. For example, I'll celebrate my computer's 10th birthday this summer. Sure, I've replaced hard drives, doubled RAM (to 16GB), and upgraded from on-board graphics to a separate graphics card (still just 2GB) meanwhile, but basically it's still a 10 years old system, not a modern gaming rig. (On the other hand, a 250W power supply is sufficient as the graphics card doesn't require additional power -- very convenient for a computer that's running almost 24/7.) So, I'm happy that I still can run Factorio without too many problems, and I really do hope that I won't be forced to upgrade before my hardware has died.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think this limit is to prevent using up too much CPU cycles when connecting poles. The area-search is an expensive function, which increases quadratically with the radius. The range limits the search radius around the pole. A search for an area of 128x128 is 4 times bigger than for 64x64.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

If you hate poles that much, just make a mod to set every machine to void energy source :roll:

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

sdgmlj wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:22 pm
the most common configuration on Steam is the Nvidia Geforce 1060 GT.

that's 6 years old.

hardware shortages and GPU miners have kept the newer stuff mostly in the Unobtanium land for all mere mortals.

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”