Storage Tank - Wireless Logistics

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

pistols39
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Storage Tank - Wireless Logistics

Post by pistols39 »

Could the Storage Tank have a button to add it to the logistic network wirelessly to read the contents (kind of like the way you can add a lamp or inserter wirelessly)? Seems to be an entity that could benefit from this.

Cheers.

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Storage Tank - Wireless Logistics

Post by Amarula »

TIL you can add lamps and inserters wirelessly to the logistic network!

When I look at the wiki, I see a note from version 0.13 that inserter hand contents can be sent to the circuit and logistic networks, but I did not find any references to wireless connections to the logistic network, and I did not find any references to any connections to the logistic network other than the logistic items (chests and roboports).

I am curious, what gets sent when you add a lamp to the logistic network? And what do you use it for?
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Does anything have a wireless connection to send data wireless? I only see cases where you can enable/disable based on signals recieved wireless.

pistols39
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by pistols39 »

Does anything have a wireless connection to send data wireless? I only see cases where you can enable/disable based on signals received wireless.
I don't think they do thinking about it. Maybe a new entity then 'logistic storage tank' that works like a logistic storage chest to share its contents only, but not be serviced by robots?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Lamps and inserters don't have wireless connectivity in vanilla. The only "Wireless" information sharing is the contents of logistic chests that share their content information within their logistic network.
It wouldn't make sense for a tank, because logistic robots can't carry fluids (I mean fluids by themselves, as they can carry barreled fluids).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Koub wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:03 pm
Lamps and inserters don't have wireless connectivity in vanilla. The only "Wireless" information sharing is the contents of logistic chests that share their content information within their logistic network.
It wouldn't make sense for a tank, because logistic robots can't carry fluids (I mean fluids by themselves, as they can carry barreled fluids).
Check again. They do have connectivity. But only for enable/disable. Not for read hand content.

pistols39
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by pistols39 »

Koub wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:03 pm
Thanks for the reply. I have spent some time thinking about this today and learning a little more about the circuit and logistics network, what they do and how the different items interact with each. The reason I made the suggestion was for an edge case and my desire to use less wires. But my original suggestion doesn't make sense in the way the the two systems are set up.
Last edited by pistols39 on Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

There are mods for wireless transmission. If you don't want long distance wire connections then go grab one of those. Then you can connect a transmitter to the tank.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

moved to won’t implement
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”