Productivity modules ignoring productivity rules.

Energy production, weapons, handling fluids and much more - excellent graphics.

Moderator: YuokiTani

Codec
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Productivity modules ignoring productivity rules.

Post by Codec »

As you can see here I can put all of the productivity modules in recipes that i should not be able to. This only happens on vanilla bindings.

This is on factorio 0.18.36 and Yuoki Industries 0.8.91 with no other mods.

ChurchOrganist
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Productivity modules ignoring productivity rules.

Post by ChurchOrganist »

Indeed - Yuoki modules don't obey the same rules as their Vanilla counterparts.

I'm not sure whether this is by design or not - Yuokitani??

What do the rest of the community think - should this be changed??
Want to know where the biters chewing your power plant have come from??
Wondering where your next iron is going to come from??
You need Long Range Radar

Codec
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Codec »

Things get a bit stranger as if i install bobs and angles they work as expected. I would like for them to work with yuoki intermediaries like gears and chips as they never have worked in there but should imo.

ChurchOrganist
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ChurchOrganist »

I've not noticed that behaviour myself.
Will look into it as part of the current overhaul for 1.0

ChurchOrganist
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ChurchOrganist »

Just been checking on module behaviour - as far as I can tell you can use Yuoki production modules in any machine that will accept them, and for any recipe you care to throw at them.

So - I'm a bit puzzled as to why you think Yuoki intermediates can't be made with Yuoki modules??

They certainly work with Yuoki chips and gears.

Codec
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Codec »

ChurchOrganist wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:22 am
Just been checking on module behaviour - as far as I can tell you can use Yuoki production modules in any machine that will accept them, and for any recipe you care to throw at them.

So - I'm a bit puzzled as to why you think Yuoki intermediates can't be made with Yuoki modules??

They certainly work with Yuoki chips and gears.

Until this bug you have never been able to use them in any recipe from any Yuoki mod. And once you install bobs you cant anymore, going back to the old behavior.

Edit: After taking a look i can see that limitation = productivity_module_limitation(), has been commented out for the module prototypes. Ill play around with it and see if there is a good way to handle productivity rules.

More edit: I put in a pull request on github for the fix. Looks like it was just a name change that broke it.

ChurchOrganist
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ChurchOrganist »

OK I think the penny has just dropped!

What you mean is that vanilla productivity modules do not work in Yuoki Intermediates.

Which is quite correct and something that should be addressed.

However, given that most of the Yuoki productivity modules give more productivity than the vanilla ones, I'm not sure why you would want to put vanilla prod modules into a Yuoki recipe.
Edit: After taking a look i can see that limitation = productivity_module_limitation(), has been commented out for the module prototypes. Ill play around with it and see if there is a good way to handle productivity rules.
The fact that the line has been commented out suggests to me that the current behaviour is as intended, and not a bug.

I do know that part of YuokiTani's philosophy on designing the mod was that players shouldn't be restricted by tech trees etc

But until he joins in with the conversation I obviously can't confirm that.

Codec
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Codec »

It has never worked like that before. As he had "productivitymodulelimitation()" and that does not work. It may have changed to what it is now in an update and i think he commented it out to get the mod started and just forgot. I am also working on another pull request to add productivity to Yuoki intermediates as that has always just felt like an oversight or bug.
ChurchOrganist wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:16 am
OK I think the penny has just dropped!

What you mean is that vanilla productivity modules do not work in Yuoki Intermediates.

Which is quite correct and something that should be addressed.

However, given that most of the Yuoki productivity modules give more productivity than the vanilla ones, I'm not sure why you would want to put vanilla prod modules into a Yuoki recipe.
The fact that the line has been commented out suggests to me that the current behaviour is as intended, and not a bug.

I do know that part of YuokiTani's philosophy on designing the mod was that players shouldn't be restricted by tech trees etc

But until he joins in with the conversation I obviously can't confirm that.
Edit: Just put in the pull request that fixes the prod models being able to be used on anything, and also adds Yuoki Intermediates to the prod rules so you use prod modules on most of them. I did take care to avoid infinite loops since you can convert M-A2 to and from. The only reason you couldn't use vanilla ones is you have to explicitly flag a recipe that productivity is allowed. The Yuoki's ones worked because they were not flagged as productivity modules, allowing them to be used anywhere.

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

I can't remember if the limitation was intended, but for some machinery and stuff like unicomp and crusher it was.
factorio has changed in the past the module-attributs so i think the out-comment was to get the mod back running. Many parts have the old strucure back to factorio 0.13 and still missing attributs.

If you can fix this, it's playable and you (the players) like it - then it should be stay/changed.

The design-philosophy was to extend factorio with a little more content in a wide way. so you have a alternate route to reach the end-game content. the goal was to fill the time until factorio itself reach a rich content level. If this plan had worked the mod has not grown instead its going smaller and fill only specific gaps.
So it was never intended as a full-scale mod to replace core gameplay or feeling - just give some more parts to play with and make the gameplay more interesting. of course some ratio/material-calculation were made, but not to reach perfection, only to give some reason and make the gameplay interesting and enjoyable. i play to relax from worktime - not to "work" in the game :)

ChurchOrganist
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ChurchOrganist »

I think the way forward for this is to add a settings file which will enable the player to choose the behaviour of Yuoki modules
ie a boolean value of 1 (default) sets them to behave the same way as vanilla productivity modules.....
and a boolean value of 0 sets them to behave as they are currently.

We can also use settings to configure things like player inventory size and reach length.

Your comments on this would be appreciated.

ChurchOrganist
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ChurchOrganist »

I have implemented the following for the next Yuoki release.....
  • Vanilla Productivity modules now recognise some Yuoki intermediates.
  • Yuoki productivity modules now behave the same as their vanilla counterparts by default, but can be configured to behave the same way they used to.
  • Player inventory and reach can now be configured but default to vanilla values
A little more work left to do but expect a RC version of the mod to be released on Github shortly.

Will let you know here when it is ready so you can all find the numerous bugs and glitches that have been missed :)

Return to “Yuoki Industries”