[Lou][1.1.25] Inserter flashes incorrect status.

Bugs that are actually features.
NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[Lou][1.1.25] Inserter flashes incorrect status.

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

As you can see, the inserter claims to be waiting for source items, when in fact it is hovering over a box full of cable.
The status should be either working or waiting for space in destination.
!.jpg
!.jpg (91.47 KiB) Viewed 2283 times
The bar shows the proportion of working/waiting for space in destination/waiting for source items and was obtained using the assembly analyst mod.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.25] Inserter flashes incorrect status.

Post by Rseding91 »

What are the contents of the assembling machine? Please post a save file showing the issue. I would guess that the assembling machine is missing copper plates which would make the status correct; they are waiting for not-copper-cables (source items). But without a save I can only guess.

On these general kinds of reports (entity status things); I think they are noise and we should ignore them provided they're working roughly 90% of the time. Trying to hunt down every single edge case just isn't worth developer time in my opinion.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

That blueprint in any newly created save should work.

If you still want a save, here it is (Sorry, I really should have thought of that in the first post):
Demo.zip
(4.06 MiB) Downloaded 56 times

I see what you mean about the inserter waiting for another item type, but even an inserter with both ingredients in an infinity chest shows the status (just less often):
!.jpg
!.jpg (91.47 KiB) Viewed 2121 times

Lou
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Lou »

Without further exploration i guess this might be distantly related with 96457 that I am working on. I noticed that the logic for showing inserter status message expects that the inserter is stopped "for a good reason", if it is just not woken up yet, the messages get wonky.

Lou
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Lou][1.1.25] Inserter flashes incorrect status.

Post by Lou »

Upon further investigation, it turned out Rseding was correct - the status is there, because it would like more iron plates at the moment. Moving the thread to "not a bug".
Attachments
Demo_fix.zip
(1.14 MiB) Downloaded 51 times

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Lou wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:18 pm
Upon further investigation, it turned out Rseding was correct - the status is there, because it would like more iron plates at the moment. Moving the thread to "not a bug".
Can you explain the second picture? How can it be “looking for plates” if there are already plates in the chest?
NotRexButCaesar wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:34 am
I see what you mean about the inserter waiting for another item type, but even an inserter with both ingredients in an infinity chest shows the status (just less often):
!.jpg

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

NotRexButCaesar wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:01 am
Lou wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:18 pm
Can you explain the second picture? How can it be “looking for plates” if there are already plates in the chest?
NotRexButCaesar wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:34 am
!.jpg
The status is mostly meaningless if you force pause the game. It only has meaning while the game is running.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Not a bug”