[0.18.30] When Tabbing out and in, character runs in southeast direction infinitely

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
LordLog117
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.18.30] When Tabbing out and in, character runs in southeast direction infinitely

Post by LordLog117 »

What I was doing:
I was playing casually in the experimental release of 1.18.30 when I was playing on my modded world. I needed to browse the internet for some information on LTN.

What Happened:
However every time I tab back into the game my character would instantly be locked into a southeast movement. this movement can be stopped by simply pressing S and D however the process can be repeated.

Expected:
When tabbing back in the character would not move

Steps:
1. Tab out of the game
2. Tab back into the game ( simply click on the window if it is still open )
3. The game puts you into running south-east
4. Pressed S+D to stop the action
5. Repeat

So far all attempts lead to the same results. Meaning that this error always occurs.

Attachments:
factorio-previous.log
Log File (previous)
(14.81 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
factorio-current.log
Log File (current)
(20.26 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
Save File ~19.0 Mb
Last edited by LordLog117 on Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LordLog117
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.18.30] When Tabbing out and in, character runs in southeast direction infinitely

Post by LordLog117 »

I also forgot to mention. This might be a key component to the cause of the bug. I am running the game in windowed mode.

This bug also applies when the user tabs back into the game while looking at the map

azesmbog
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

character runs infinitely

Post by azesmbog »

This kind of character action happens to me often. In all! versions and vanilla.
I just do not pay attention to it.
The character "sticks" in some direction and runs endlessly until it hits. This used to be annoying, but now I got used to pressing the WIN button, and then I return to the game again. Voila!

KrazyTygr
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.18.30] When Tabbing out and in, character runs in southeast direction infinitely

Post by KrazyTygr »

This happens to me occasionally as well - it's as though the movement key gets 'stuck' in one direction (only N,S,E or W for me), so the character keeps moving until the corresponding movement key is pressed in order to cancel the movement. Usually quite harmless, but can be nerve wracking when it happens near rails.

But it also happens to me in other games as well, so I don't think it's a Factorio bug - if anyone knows what causes it (or ways to prevent it) I'd be interested to know.

LordLog117
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LordLog117 »

I have only been having this issue with this game. However, some people do encounter this issue when they tab out of the game while holding the keys causing the player to be locked in a certain motion. I did not press any keys on my keyboard. I simply clicked out of the game and clicked back in. Now my character runs south-east forever till I press "S" and "D."

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

I can't reproduce it and I have no idea why this would happen.
We clear input state (unpress all buttons) when application window loses focus and then clear it again when it activates again to specifically prevent issues like this.

So something must be simulating keys being pressed down for character to walk when the game is not focused.
Is there something remotely unusual (it might be usual wherever you live in) about your computer?

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

This used to happen to me a lot too, For me it was more around the usage of the alt, ctrl, and shift keys. I tracked it down to the keyboard connecting over bluetooth. Once I plugged it in, problem went away.

From my experience this feels like a bluetooth driver issue on Windows 10. But I couldn't be bothered to actually track down the root cause. So I could be wrong.

azesmbog
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by azesmbog »

posila wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:40 pm
I can't reproduce it and I have no idea why this would happen.
This happens to me quite rarely, and on purpose I cannot do this. But no further than 2 hours ago.
I have the standard player movement keys W, S, A, D redefined to cursor keys (I'm "left-handed" :)
Standard situation, I am standing not far from the train, a couple of steps higher than it.
I press the down button, take two steps towards the train, get ready to press "ENTER", release the down key, but the character continues to run o_O. But I still get on the train. The train is at a standstill. I press ENTER, the character gets off the train and immediately runs down endlessly. But at the same time it is possible to press up / right / left / ENTER - then it runs in the indicated direction, until you release the key, then it starts to run down.
In general, I got on the train on ENTER, drove a little forward, got off the train, and the trigger effect disappeared. I didn't even have to press the WIN rescue key.
Something like that.

KrazyTygr
Inserter
Inserter

Post by KrazyTygr »

posila wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:40 pm
So something must be simulating keys being pressed down for character to walk when the game is not focused.
I've not had this problem occur for over a month, but it just happened 10 minutes ago. My character was running east when my wife came in, so I turned to talk to her and lifted my hands from the keyboard. When I looked back at the screen the character was still running east. The game was always in focus.
netmand wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:16 pm
This used to happen to me a lot too, For me it was more around the usage of the alt, ctrl, and shift keys. I tracked it down to the keyboard connecting over bluetooth. Once I plugged it in, problem went away.
I have a desktop PC with a USB keyboard, so for me it is nothing to do with Bluetooth.
From my experience this feels like a bluetooth driver issue on Windows 10. But I couldn't be bothered to actually track down the root cause. So I could be wrong.
My Desktop runs on Windows 7 Pro, so it's not related to Windows 10.
Is there something remotely unusual (it might be usual wherever you live in) about your computer?
I live in the UK, and have a standard PC, nothing unusual about it at all (apart from my character having a life of his own every now and again).

Danjoh
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Danjoh »

Hi! Sorry, I'm new to Factorio, so not entirely sure if I should bump this old thread, or make a new one.

But I'm having very similar issues in version [1.1.34 (build 58519, win64)].

Every time I tab out of and then into the game, the game registers me pressing x (swap quickbars) and c (start attacking at mouse cursor) buttons.

It does not seem to have anything to do with pressing the Alt+Tab combination, because same thing happens if I simply click outside the Factorio window and then click Factorio again.

My solution so far has been to unbind the x and c buttons.

azesmbog
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by azesmbog »

To be fair, I will note that my problem with endless running in one direction has long disappeared.

Return to “Pending”