[kovarex] [0.18.18] Ghost Placed Rail Signal On Tree Flashes Invalid - Manually Replaced Signal Is Valid

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
djbq
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[kovarex] [0.18.18] Ghost Placed Rail Signal On Tree Flashes Invalid - Manually Replaced Signal Is Valid

Post by djbq »

I found one post which seems very similar in searching, but it is from 15 and the moderator requested a new post in the final correspondence: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=52534

Issue:
Placing a rail signal on straight track can cause the rail signal to flash, as though it isn't next to track at a valid point. This occurs when there are trees in the way and you ghost place it. Replacing the signal manually shows it is in a valid location.

Recreation Steps:
I have attached a video showing the issue.
1. Look for a spot on two parallel lines of track where one track has a green marker for a rail signal, and the other does not.
2. Then step away and in quick succession
3. Shift-click to place ghost on green marker.
4. Shift-click to place ghost on location without green marker.

Attachments:
I have attached my quick-save file from before I have recreated. Walk right to get to the location of the video. I tested multiple locations along the vertical track which presented the issue. Testing along the horizontal track (north from the video) shows that trees are able to be removed and have valid rail signals placed even with the green square initially missing.

Expected Behavior:
My expected functionality is consistency. Preferentially, the signal should not be invalid even if the green marker is missing as long as it is a valid rail point once the tree is removed. I see this is working along the horizontal track to the right of where the save file starts you. The vertical track in the video should work the same.

Final Thoughts:
I'm not sure horizontal or vertical track makes a difference, but that's what my testing has shown. My guess is it may be how each tree is positioned next to the track, and the vertical track in relation to the trees makes it easier to recreate the issue. Especially around the leaves of a tree, not so much the trunk area. Hit-box related?

I'm going to try and watch this post closely in case you need anything else. Please pardon any mistakes as it's my first bug report. Appreciate all the work you do!
Attachments
GhostPlacedRailSignalBug.zip
(10.51 MiB) Downloaded 116 times

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [boskid] [0.18.18] Ghost Placed Rail Signal On Tree Flashes Invalid - Manually Replaced Signal Is Valid

Post by boskid »

It looks as more general problem: since the entity is NotBuildable at that position in manual building sense, there is no way rail signal can communicate which directions are preferred. Same issue applies to the offshore pumps if the place for it has colliding tree: the offshore pump will not snap properly to the directions it can be built but it will rotate freely as the tree prevents it from being built.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [kovarex] [0.18.18] Ghost Placed Rail Signal On Tree Flashes Invalid - Manually Replaced Signal Is Valid

Post by kovarex »

Yes, the error was, that the mechanism that automatically rotates the signal to match the rail wasn't activated when the entity was not buildable.

Fixed for 1.1

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”