[0.17.57] Mod loading times progressively slower

Bugs that are actually features.
Therenas
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

[0.17.57] Mod loading times progressively slower

Post by Therenas »

When loading a game with a lot of mods enabled, startup time is much slower than in 0.17.56. It gets progressively worse with every mod loaded, regardless of the size of the mod. You can observe this pretty well by just looking at the loading screen and seeing the first few mods fly by, but the following ones taking longer and longer to load. This is before sprites or anything, it's during the settings and data stage as far as I can tell. This is not the case in 0.17.56.

As an example, I attached a save (that I got it from a user of my mod for debugging purposes), and the log file of a 0.17.56 and 0.17.57 load with the mods being synced to that save. The game doesn't finish loading in 0.17.57 because not all mods are compatible yet, but it shows the slowdown nonetheless.

Ask away if you need more information.
Attachments
log_0_17_57.log
(243.81 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
log_0_17_56.log
(272.09 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
long_load_times.zip
(10.81 MiB) Downloaded 39 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.57] Mod loading times progressively slower

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however nothing about mod loading changed in 0.17.57.

Looking at the log files: you've added a bunch of new mods. Of course it will take longer to load with more mods.

In your 0.17.56 log you have 38 mods. In your 0.17.57 log file you have 136 mods.

Most of the time spent by the game during the data stage is spent building prototype history (the yellow changed-by labels in tooltips). If you don't care about that, you can disable it in the config file by un-commeting the setting "disable-prototype-history" and setting it to true.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Therenas
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Therenas »

Well, that just revealed another problem then. If I sync with the save I provided in 0.17.56, it correctly enables only the mods that are in the save. In 0.17.57 however, it enables all(?) the mods that I have installed, even though they are not all in the save, hence the large number of them.
Specifically, when I have 0 mods loaded, and attempt so sync with the save, it shows the ones not in the save (but that are installed) as already enabled (which they are not), and the ones in the save as to be enabled (which is correct). Should I make another thread for this?

(I'm still pretty convinced that loading takes longer somehow, I'll have to find a reliable way to reproduce this though.)

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Therenas wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:09 am
Well, that just revealed another problem then. If I sync with the save I provided in 0.17.56, it correctly enables only the mods that are in the save. In 0.17.57 however, it enables all(?) the mods that I have installed, even though they are not all in the save, hence the large number of them.
Specifically, when I have 0 mods loaded, and attempt so sync with the save, it shows the ones not in the save (but that are installed) as already enabled (which they are not), and the ones in the save as to be enabled (which is correct). Should I make another thread for this?

(I'm still pretty convinced that loading takes longer somehow, I'll have to find a reliable way to reproduce this though.)
That's fixed in 0.17.58, you can just update the game.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Therenas
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Therenas »

Okay didn't see that in the patch notes, thanks.

Return to “Not a bug”