[0.17.8] Auto-Updater fails if one package fails download (effects other versions)

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
nyghtwulf
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.17.8] Auto-Updater fails if one package fails download (effects other versions)

Post by nyghtwulf »

Starting to get back into Factorio, so needing to run updates. I started on 0.16.51 and let the game find and start pulling the updates. It completed downloading of all packages except the 0.17.39 to 0.17.40 package, which got a 404. The auto-updater then refused to apply any updates. I ran the update attempt a second time, which it first cleared the contents of its 'temp' directory (located in the games base directory, looks like it just stores the update .zip files there before applying them)

This second run also failed. This time, I moved the contents of the temp directory aside and used the command-line option --apply-update to apply the first package (core-win64-0.16.51-0.17.8-update.zip). The update applied without problem, game started, prompted for update. The download process began, and again the Updater failed at the .17.40 update (this time it didn't even show me the 404 error code, it only displayed "Error:" perhaps a separate bug with the new GUI?).

Its clear the .17.40 update package doesn't exist on the update server, which is no big deal as there's various reasons why that could happen. However, I would think the game could apply all preceding updates that it managed to download just fine?

Since the packages are incremental, missing the very last one shouldn't effect being able to apply the earlier packages. I suspect its not so much a bug and more of an extra code path that needs added so the updater can verify/check what it did manage to get in a multi-package update and apply what it did manage to download successfully.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.8] Auto-Updater fails if one package fails download (effects other versions)

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. I don't consider this worth changing. Incrementally updating partially from old experimental versions is mostly "if it works" but isn't a large priority for us if it doesn't.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Won't fix.”