[Oxyd] [0.17.28] [Linux] Control key not recognized

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[Oxyd] [0.17.28] [Linux] Control key not recognized

Post by sillyfly »

As the title says, seems like the game refuses to recognize the Control key.
Key bindings are all on default, and I'm using bog standard QWERTY layout, but no matter what I do it's as if I never press/hold the Control button.
Even trying to re-map actions there is no difference whether I hold Control or not - the mapping shows as having no Control press.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.17.28] [Linux] Control key not recognized

Post by Pi-C »

Did it actually work for you until now? I've the same issue (reported here). For me, CTRL stopped working with 0.17.15, so I now have installed 0.17.14 (with experimental updates disabled) for playing -- and another instance that I regularly update just to check whether CTRL works again.

It really is a pain. I already had to downgrade three mods because their latest version requires Base mod to be 0.17.15 or even higher, and there is one mod I can't even install because the latest version has this base >= 0.17.15 dependency and the versions before that are broken. However, Oxyd already told me some time ago he'll look into it once he's done with other stuff that's occupying him, so I'm still hoping for the best. :-)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Last time I played was around 0.17.4, and back then it worked perfectly.
Had no issues like that in 0.16 or before.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

I began playing only at 0.16.51. CTRL was sometimes recognized when I changed the keyboard mapping -- but completely unpredictable. Restarting the computer, or even just the X session, would cause CTRL to break, even if the key mapping was still the same and the key CTRL was mapped to worked in all other programs. Really weird, don't know why that happened.

Now, CTRL isn't recognized all of the time -- whether I change the key mapping or not. That's more reliable at least, although it isn't really better. :-)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Found the "culprit": disabling "press Control twice to locate pointer" in Gnome Tweak Tool allows Factorio to see Control key presses again.
IMHO Factorio should be able to see it regardless, but it is a workaround for now, and perhaps would allow the devs to reproduce the problem and solve it.
ploc.png
ploc.png (74.01 KiB) Viewed 3436 times

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

sillyfly wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:03 am
Found the "culprit": disabling "press Control twice to locate pointer" in Gnome Tweak Tool allows Factorio to see Control key presses again.
Wow, thank you so much, that works for me, too! The funny thing is,I had left this option deliberately on so I could check whether the CTRL key has really been pressed because it was a bit wobbly on my previous keyboard (replaced that last week, after some more hardware damage).

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [Oxyd] [0.17.28] [Linux] Control key not recognized

Post by Oxyd »

Sorry about the delay. This will be fixed in 0.17.44.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”