[0.17.2] Suggested mini tutorial seems not to exist or has not unlocked

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
cmtitan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.17.2] Suggested mini tutorial seems not to exist or has not unlocked

Post by cmtitan »

Upon completion of the construction robot research the game suggested I should play a mini tutorial about ghost rail planning (I'm not 100% on the exact name). I clicked the box that suggested the tutorial (as had worked before), but without effect. I went into the map and called up the mini tutorial menu from there and only saw the five mini tutorials I already completed.

I felt uncomfortable not being able to scroll the mini tutorial menu nor seeing any indication that scrolling would be possible but there are simply no more items, but that's mainly because it left me with no way to verify if the menu is in working order.

Log is from the playing session during which the bug occurred. The state of my save before this bug occurred is alas gone, attached save is at the end of that session (autosaves already progressed beyond the bug). Note that the log has been redacted to replace user name and actual save name.
Attachments
factorio-previous - backed up.log
(6.01 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
save.zip
(5.52 MiB) Downloaded 74 times

cmtitan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.17.2] Suggested mini tutorial seems not to exist or has not unlocked

Post by cmtitan »

Progressed further in this game. When Character logistics slots 1 was researched I was immediately offered the mini tutorial for Basic logistics systems, followed by Construction robots. Followed by the earlier suggested (and then missing) Ghost rail planning!

So it would seem there is some ordering issue going on. The mini tutorial seems to have the construction robots tutorial as a prerequisite (?) but does not actually use construction robots.

My suggestion is to remove the prerequisite of the construction robots tutorial and include a message in the ghost rail tutorial that the player will need construction robots to actually have the planned rails built automatically, but can still do so manually. Note that it is still useful to plan without construction robots, so I'd say this helps the player even when they don't have construction robots yet... which makes me realize you might want to just add a mini tutorial for Ghosts that unlocks early on (before any ghosting) and tell the player what ghosts are, how to handle and replace them manually.

Alternatively: do not suggest the ghost rail planning tutorial until it has actually been unlocked ;)

Yannick
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Yannick »

I experienced the exact same sequence of events, except I didn't notice the subsequent robot tutorials until I saw your post. Now that I've completed the logistic and construction robot tutorials train ghost planning tutorial unlocked and was playable.

I appreciate that tutorials are now hidden until such a time as we have the technology to put them into action, but train ghost planning should indeed not be suggested until it actually appears in the list.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. Do you have some series of steps to reproduce this issue? I've tried reading through your posts a few times but I'm not quite getting it.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

cmtitan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by cmtitan »

It's been some time, but if I'm not mistaken this was caused by focussing research towards (and completing) construction robots, in particular ignoring any train and rail research as much as possible.

No other game elements seemed to be involved, so cheating your way through those researches (e.g. using a small mod to make all research trivial, or even just programmatically unlocking stuff) would probably work.

I did notice that in the meantime some work has been done on both the mini tutorials and the research tree, so for reproduction you might need to use version 0.17.2 exactly.

Return to “Pending”