[0.16.51] Rendering Order Storage Tank / Underground Belt

Things that we don't consider worth fixing at this moment.
plantprogrammer
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.16.51] Rendering Order Storage Tank / Underground Belt

Post by plantprogrammer »

Minor aesthetics issue. I just noticed that any southern outlet of a storage tank will render on top of an underground belt ramp build right south of it. See picture.
factorio_rendering_bug.png
factorio_rendering_bug.png (223.73 KiB) Viewed 1867 times
version 0.16.51 Build 36654 mac

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.16.51] Rendering Order Storage Tank / Underground Belt

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however I don't consider this worth looking into. This happens all over the place due to trying to simulate 3D in a 2D sprite based game. "Fixing" one thing breaks other things and It's just not worth the time to me to look into this kind of stuff.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

weaknespase
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by weaknespase »

Rseding91 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:47 am
Thanks for the report however I don't consider this worth looking into. This happens all over the place due to trying to simulate 3D in a 2D sprite based game. "Fixing" one thing breaks other things and It's just not worth the time to me to look into this kind of stuff.
But this game still uses depth-enabled graphics API, isn't it? Technically it should be possible to include depth component with sprite data when rendering from 3D models and use it to sort out most bugs related to rendering order.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

weaknespase wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:41 am
But this game still uses depth-enabled graphics API, isn't it? Technically it should be possible to include depth component with sprite data when rendering from 3D models and use it to sort out most bugs related to rendering order.
Yes, but currently we can't use depth testing because of transparency in our sprites. It's mainly antialiased edges, color masks and other effects that don't use normal alpha blending, and lot of sprites have still semi-transparent shadows embedded in them. Possibly, when we separate shadow from main sprites on everything, it might be worth handling antialised edges MSAA with alpha-to-coverage enabled, which would enable us to use depth testing, and we would treat non-standard blending and things that heavily utilize transparency - i.e. smoke, differently so they render as intended.

On the other hand, the underground belt structure would have the same depth over its entire area, so it would have same effect as moving the sprite from belt layer to object layer, which is something I don't want to do, because then we would have to move also splitter, belt circuit connector and possibly some other things.

weaknespase
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by weaknespase »

Yup, i'd also wait for better time to even think about fixing this stuff. :)

Return to “Won't fix.”