[0.16.45] control settings shows wrong keys binds

Bugs that are actually features.
SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.16.45] control settings shows wrong keys binds

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

When I rebind my control settings some keys especially special characters (not letters or numbers) are shown incorrectly. For example when I rebind the lua console to my "+"-key factorio shows "euquals" but the equals key is somewhere else.
I think it has something to do with my setup because I have my windows on English (US) and use a German keyboard (layout).

c0bRa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.16.45] control settings shows wrong keys binds

Post by c0bRa »

AFAIK the Bindings are always on english.
When you have standard factorio-bindings, you can't type an Ö on a german keyboard, cause the Ö is the ~ which opens or closes the console. ;)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Yes, english keybinding is used for this.

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Way to long I didn't play factorio. Sry for the inconvenience but could you consider adding common other keyboard layouts like German one or France one?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

But why? It just works, you press the key and it is mapped to it, and the english key equivalent is written in the controls menu. It might be different compared to what is physically written on your keyboard, but you can still use it normally.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

kovarex wrote:But why? It just works, you press the key and it is mapped to it, and the english key equivalent is written in the controls menu. It might be different compared to what is physically written on your keyboard, but you can still use it normally.
It means you can't use the controls menu to check what something is bound to. If I look into the controls, I can't figure out what the lua console is bound to, since the key it shows is different. I'd have to try every key on my keyboard to find out.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Bilka wrote:
kovarex wrote:But why? It just works, you press the key and it is mapped to it, and the english key equivalent is written in the controls menu. It might be different compared to what is physically written on your keyboard, but you can still use it normally.
It means you can't use the controls menu to check what something is bound to. If I look into the controls, I can't figure out what the lua console is bound to, since the key it shows is different. I'd have to try every key on my keyboard to find out.
Yeah and Factorio has a lot of keybindings I could bind to special keys and rebinding every time is not a great solution.
I read some FFF back that the beginner experience is not great and remembering keybinds does make it worse. As a more experienced player that played several hundred hours I can remember some keybinds but if I would be new it would be irritating and maybe I would stop playing because I can't remember the keybinds I changed for convince.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Lets say we did localize what it shows: the game has absolutely no way to know what your keyboard key looks like to say "Move left is mapped to SCAN code 93 which in on this guys keyboard is the 'Ö' symbol". I can plug a Czech keyboard into a computer setup with the English language or use a US keyboard on a Czech computer and none of it maps correctly.

It's very similar to how the game detects the system zoom level and sets the games zoom level to that by default and most find it to be wrong eventually changing it to 100% zoom.

Or how google calendar decided that because the person who setup the shared calendar has their language as Czech it should show as Czech for me even though I have my language set as English.

It's near impossible to make it work correctly. It just reminds me of the video linked in the latest FF about localization of plurals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j74jcx ... be&t=2m48s
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Windows certainly exposes the currently set layout: msdn
Linux and Mac probably have a similar api.

Return to “Not a bug”