Chests blueprinted on rocks end up with coal in them.

Bugs that are actually features.
jchardin64
Inserter
Inserter

Chests blueprinted on rocks end up with coal in them.

Post by jchardin64 »

Not sure if this really counts as a "bug", but it's causing unexpected issues in my current factory.

Using a personal roboport, I use shift-click to place a blueprint and have my construction bots automatically clear all the trees and rocks. This is fine for most rocks, but some have coal in them in addition to stone. The coal ends up sitting on the ground, and it might take a second for the bots to get around to collecting it. Sometimes a chest will get build on top of the coal before it gets picked up, which means the coal ends up in the chest.

Here's why this is really annoying me. Some of the designs I use have a chest limited to 1 stack, which acts as a buffer between 2 machines. It's frustrating to finish building a new production outpost, go do some other stuff, and come back an hour later to find that some of the machines weren't working because a few of the chests got blocked by coal instead of being allowed to have the item they're supposed to have.

The solution to this that I would propose is to have items sitting on the ground block construction until they're cleaned up. (The same way that pre-existing machines will block new machines from being built.)

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Chests blueprinted on rocks end up with coal in them.

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however this is working as intended.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

jchardin64
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Chests blueprinted on rocks end up with coal in them.

Post by jchardin64 »

Really? I'm trying to understand why this would be a desired feature.

By the way the coal also ends up on belts if they're part of the blueprint, which usually ends up blocking the input on the last machine or two. (I don't usually use belts by the time I have robots, but I just tested it out of curiosity)

Return to “Not a bug”