[0.16.36] Freeze during long session

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
arbarbonif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.16.36] Freeze during long session

Post by arbarbonif »

I had been playing fine for several hours. I was working, so ended up idling for several minutes to an hour in a factorissimo building, so not on the main map, and with the game paused. At which point it froze. Memory usage was 5.4G, cpu and gpu were 0. It did eventually take the click that dismissed the pause menu (after a 1-2 minutes pause), but even after that it would not respond to input, nor to closing it from the task bar. After about 5-10 minutes the memory usage dropped to 500M and then it closed, presumably from the task bar closing... It has ended up doing it twice so far, the first time it recovered and I had assumed it was a temporary glitch. Both times were after me coming back after leaving it idling for substantial lengths of time and in the same session. I'm not sure if they were both in a building, I think the first wasn't. After it unfroze the first time, I reloaded my game since it had done the same "eventually responding to the unpause" and so had run for some unknown length of time (more than 15 minutes since I had 3 saves).

Starting it normally again the memory usage was about 5G and it did the same "drop to way less then close", so I'm guessing that is normal. I haven't had any other problems.

I'll attach my log, though it doesn't seem to show anything interesting. Is there anything I can do, if this happens again, to provide useful information?
Attachments
factorio-previous.zip
(6.04 KiB) Downloaded 39 times

Dominik
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [16.36] Freeze during long session

Post by Dominik »

On a pretty big base I am on 4GB. GPU memory won't be an issue with what you have. So I assume it is caused by some mod. Try to do the same with (some) mods disabled and see what happens.

arbarbonif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [16.36] Freeze during long session

Post by arbarbonif »

I had it happen again, but it recovered after a few moments. I realized that there was one other thing: I have 2 monitors, one 1080p and one 4K. I had them both attached to the computer I was running Factorio on (Factorio running on the 1080p in fullscreen) and the 4K was also attached to my unrelated laptop. Each time it froze I had the monitor set to receive from the laptop. The main reason I'm bringing this up was the last time it froze it recovered as soon as I switched back to having the 4K screen receive from the computer I was running Factorio on (I was going to open a browser to check/update this post). I was also definitely not idling in a factorissimo building (as I hadn't created any in that game). I'm not sure if that is relevant, but it is more data. It was also running a fewer mods, though still quite a few.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.16.36] Freeze during long session

Post by kovarex »

Well, changing monitors can obviously case weird stuff. It is most probably related and I would just say, that this is either minor problem, or it will disappear in 0.17 with the changes of inner graphics system.

arbarbonif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.16.36] Freeze during long session

Post by arbarbonif »

It is a multiple monitor thing. I've had it happen without switching the monitor source, but I also found out how to get it to recover: click on the other monitor. It isn't a focus thing, if I alt tab to something else it is still frozen, but if I click on the desktop of the other monitor it suddenly recovers. That was why I noticed it when I was switching the source for the monitor, I wasn't clicking on the monitor I can't see so it wasn't recovering and I wasn't clicking to bring up task manager, I was just using the keyboard for it. So not a big deal, since it is easy enough to fix. I'll see if it still happens in .17.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”