Cannot log in for multiplayer servers

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
L1gerZer0Jager
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Cannot log in for multiplayer servers

Post by L1gerZer0Jager »

When i try to join my friend's server or brows the online servers, I am met with a log in screen. I type my username and password and am consistently met with "cannot reach auth server" and I am unable to get passed this. I have checked that factorio is an allowed exception for both public and private networks on my firewall (windows firewall, as i am running windows 10) and ensured that my username and password are correct.

I have the steam version of the game. Is there anything I can do to fix this?
Attachments
changelog.txt
I am not sure if this is the correct log, but it was the only log file i saw in the game directory. I am including this because the "how to post a bug" forum thing said to include the log
(573.67 KiB) Downloaded 70 times

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Cannot log in for multiplayer servers

Post by impetus maximus »

log files (factorio-current.log factorio-previous.log) are found in %appdata%\Factorio in windows.

L1gerZer0Jager
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by L1gerZer0Jager »

Is this the correct file? This is the only txt file i could find under within the directory you specified. I have now also tried logging in under the options menu, as well as trying to create a new account (with the same credentials) and I still recieve the same "cannot reach auth server" popup.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
hopefully the correct log this time
(5.91 KiB) Downloaded 82 times

wheybags
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by wheybags »

That log file is from the demo version of the game.

L1gerZer0Jager
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by L1gerZer0Jager »

Sorry! I really cant find the log file in that case. Ive tried using my file explorer search. Do I need to have verbose logging enabled in the game options for this to be created? I do have the game installed on a secondary hard drive, with the rest of my steam library and I did recently update from windows 7 to windows 10 and did not change that secondary drive at all when I did so, if that may have effected the file's location (or absence?)

Is the log file needed to troubleshoot this issue?

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

If you are using the steam version on windows you should be able to open the correct folder by typing %appdata%\Factorio into the address bar of windows file explorer.

Regarding what might be wrong, be sure you are using your factorio.com username and password. That is a separate account to the forums.

L1gerZer0Jager
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by L1gerZer0Jager »

Ok, I tried that and here is the file in that location. I hope its not the demo's version again!

I have ensured that I am using factorio.com credentials in the game. I am able to successfully log into factorio.com, but the same username and password does not work in game. I have also tried my email address in the game to, but that didnt work either.

Also, under normal circumstances, wouldn't inputting incorrect login data render a different error message than "couldn't reach auth server"?
Attachments
factorio-current.log
Hopefully the right one this time!
(2.79 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

You are using 15.40 and there is not even an attempt to connect to a server in your log, I move this to technical help.

L1gerZer0Jager
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by L1gerZer0Jager »

I am still having this issue. I have made no settings changes to my router in the past few months, which could have caused this. Why wouldnt the log have any notation of my trying to log in? Its all I've done since this began occurring. Is there anything else I can try, or upload?

L1gerZer0Jager
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by L1gerZer0Jager »

Ok, I've made a bit of progress with this issue. I tried installing the game onto my laptop. While connected to the very same network as my desktop, I am able to log in. Playing on my laptop is not very ideal, but this does mean the issue is limited to my desktop's settings and not my network, unless I'm missing something.

As stated, I've ensured that windows firewall recognizes factorio as an exception and I have not myself installed any additional firewalls (started with a fresh windows 10 pro install). Are there any other settings or possible interfering programs I should check out, to anyone's knowledge?

I have also uninstalled, reinstalled, verified local files, restarted my computer router and modem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated; I'm at wit's end with this!

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Download and try the .zip standalone version from the website, if this does not work either post its log(s), they will be directly in its directory.

L1gerZer0Jager
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by L1gerZer0Jager »

The .zip version from the website asked me to log in immediately after launch in order to be able to download updates. At this screen, I was able to log in successfully!! Should I just continue to play factorio in this way, or can I try reinstalling the steam version now? Does this give any insight into what could have been causing this issue?

Thank you for the help getting me back up and running!!

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

L1gerZer0Jager wrote:The .zip version from the website asked me to log in immediately after launch in order to be able to download updates. At this screen, I was able to log in successfully!! Should I just continue to play factorio in this way, or can I try reinstalling the steam version now? Does this give any insight into what could have been causing this issue?
You could just use the .zip version, but now that it is obvious that it is a settings issue, you could try to delete the the player-data.json file at \Steam\steamapps\common\Factorio.

Return to “Technical Help”