[0.16.24] Train refueling issue

Bugs that are actually features.
Murzik
Inserter
Inserter

[0.16.24] Train refueling issue

Post by Murzik »

I'm not sure if it's a bug or intended behaviour. Here is the situation. Despite the fact that there is wood in the chest, the locomotive can no longer be refueled in automatic mode. I don't know exactly how this situation occured as I did not observe it beforehand. Presumably, the doube-headed train attempted departure from the station and immediately run out of fuel. The problem can be resolved by switching train to manual mode.

I'm posting this here, just in case if it might be an issue because it seems counter intuitive why the train is standing idle next to a fuel chest.
train-fuel.jpg
train-fuel.jpg (354.38 KiB) Viewed 3886 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.16.24] Train refueling issue

Post by Loewchen »

If the train is not stopped at the station, inserter will not interact with it in automatic mode. The screenshot does not show in what situation the train is or if the inserter would even be in the correct position to insert in the locomotive. Post the save so this can be checked please.

cbhj1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by cbhj1 »

a couple things can be seen from the picture .

1. the inserter didn't even try to fuel it when it was stopped, would have had at least 2 open slots for fueling, if it wasn't there long enough to fuel, the inserter would have the arm extended with fuel.
2. the station inserter spacing is most likely correct due to being on mining 59 in what looks to be highly vanilla factorio

one question that does pop to mind is whether the wood was delivered to the chest before or after this stall.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Post here your save, please.

Murzik
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Murzik »

Here is the save with this situation:
RockyForest-14x-train-issue.zip
(22.88 MiB) Downloaded 123 times

Murzik
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Murzik »

cbhj1 wrote:One question that does pop to mind is whether the wood was delivered to the chest before or after this stall.
I also thought that it might be the case, otherwise there is no way inserter did not have time to put a single piece of wood there.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

If it arrives empty does the inserter have enough time to refuel?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Without a minimum departure delay in the unload station this can happen on its own. I'll file it as not a bug until someone can show the inserter not inserting in a situation it should.

cbhj1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by cbhj1 »

did some testing in sandbox mode, straight section of track, 2 stations, 1-2-1 train, inserter with fuel.

found that if the tail engine was out of fuel upon entering the station without enough time to refuel, it would 'depart' without moving, preventing the inserter from placing fuel in an otherwise in-range engine, one difference from the above screenshot is that the inserter would be extended with fuel in hand, even with 0 delay from arrival to departure. this reinforces the question of whether the wood was present when the train arrived

might be worth adding a couple seconds departure time with the AND condition to ensure proper fueling

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

just like Loewchen explained. add time to the station condition to allow time for fueling. ;)

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

I usually have trains set to load until full. In that case they would never arrive empty at unloading. In that case the extra delay is unnecessary. While a "and time passed 5s" wouldn't hurt it's just more work to set up for every train. So I usually don't bother.

Return to “Not a bug”