[0.16.16] Logistic robots only picking up now and then

Bugs that are actually features.
juicecase
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.16.16] Logistic robots only picking up now and then

Post by juicecase »

Hi,

I have attached a save of where I'm just starting to work with robots. I have an issue with my logistic robots only picking up a few items, then stopping for a long while, then maybe a few will go pick up some items again, regardless of how many robots are available for work in the network. There's also a large number of logistic robots just hovering near the roboport without returning to it as shown in the attached screenshot.

Specific example:
As shown in the screenshot, there's an passive provider chest with a pickup order of some ~50 phenolic boards. They need to be delivered to the requester chest to its right. As I understand it, there should be a flood of robots going immediately to fill the pickup order, but hardly anything happens. Maybe I'm just not doing something right, but this setup has worked many times before.

I have attached:
- Said screenshot
- My save
- My zipped mods directory
- My log file of loading the save

Thank you for your time.
Attachments
Screenshot
Screenshot
robot_issue.png (4.31 MiB) Viewed 2636 times
save.zip
My save
(6.67 MiB) Downloaded 67 times
mods.zip
My mods directory
(36.11 MiB) Downloaded 68 times
factorio-current.log
My log
(13.61 KiB) Downloaded 64 times

juicecase
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.16.16] Logistic robots only picking up now and then

Post by juicecase »

Sorry about the font color choice on the SS there - seemed to have more contrast when I was editing it.

GodricSeer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by GodricSeer »

This isn't a bug. A roboport only has 4 charge ports, so all those robots are waiting in line to charge. Place more roboports to let them charge faster.

juicecase
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by juicecase »

GodricSeer wrote:This isn't a bug. A roboport only has 4 charge ports, so all those robots are waiting in line to charge. Place more roboports to let them charge faster.
But that's the thing, they're not waiting to charge and there's plenty of charge ports available in the two 'Large robot charging point'.

Looking over it more it seems like, if I set a requester chest to deliver 50 items, the majority of them will always be 'on the way', which seems to have something to do with all the bots just hovering for no reason.

Edit:
Regardless of how many charging ports I make available, they still just sit there.

myricaulus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by myricaulus »

I had something similar with two separated logistic systems with robodock where one had lots of bots and the other had lot of work, specifically i was deforesting an big area on a mining site. The Bots just stuttered continuously and were barely able to do work. As far as i remember this issue was already in 0.15. This solved themselves for me after i got my suit with roboport. I also had bobs mods active which introduced higher tiers of robos. I assumed it had something to do with pathfinding of the robos. It was also in the very beginning of the robo tech only. Much later i had two big separated logistic systems and no issues at all.

juicecase
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by juicecase »

myricaulus wrote:I had something similar with two separated logistic systems with robodock where one had lots of bots and the other had lot of work, specifically i was deforesting an big area on a mining site. The Bots just stuttered continuously and were barely able to do work. As far as i remember this issue was already in 0.15. This solved themselves for me after i got my suit with roboport. I also had bobs mods active which introduced higher tiers of robos. I assumed it had something to do with pathfinding of the robos. It was also in the very beginning of the robo tech only. Much later i had two big separated logistic systems and no issues at all.
I'm playing with Bob's mods as well, but I never saw this issue in 0.15. The setup I have in the save always worked without any glitches.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

juicecase wrote:
GodricSeer wrote:This isn't a bug. A roboport only has 4 charge ports, so all those robots are waiting in line to charge. Place more roboports to let them charge faster.
But that's the thing, they're not waiting to charge and there's plenty of charge ports available in the two 'Large robot charging point'.

Looking over it more it seems like, if I set a requester chest to deliver 50 items, the majority of them will always be 'on the way', which seems to have something to do with all the bots just hovering for no reason.

Edit:
Regardless of how many charging ports I make available, they still just sit there.
So I loaded up your mods and save. Most of the bots are waiting to charge at the Robochest Mk1, which only has one charging pad. Why they aren't using the large robot charging points mk1 I'm not sure. (It might be a mod bug, or it might be a factorio bug). But even if they were all working, you have far too many bots for the number of charging pads. The chests that have outstanding requests all seem to have bots assigned to satisfy those requests. The bots are just queued waiting to charge. If I add another 8 regular roboports things get much better. There are still too many bots trying to use the robochest though, and the large robot charging pads still seem to be unused.

juicecase
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by juicecase »

So I loaded up your mods and save. Most of the bots are waiting to charge at the Robochest Mk1, which only has one charging pad. Why they aren't using the large robot charging points mk1 I'm not sure. (It might be a mod bug, or it might be a factorio bug). But even if they were all working, you have far too many bots for the number of charging pads. The chests that have outstanding requests all seem to have bots assigned to satisfy those requests. The bots are just queued waiting to charge. If I add another 8 regular roboports things get much better. There are still too many bots trying to use the robochest though, and the large robot charging pads still seem to be unused.
Thanks a bunch for the feedback :) . I'll use more roboports as a temporary fix, and I hope the charging points will start working again with some Factorio/mod patch down the line.

Return to “Not a bug”