[16.2] Horizontal Scroll doesn't work with non keyboard device

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
Seaish
Inserter
Inserter

[16.2] Horizontal Scroll doesn't work with non keyboard device

Post by Seaish »

I tried searching for this but didn't find anything.

On the map preview, horizontal scroll doesn't work. I tried shift-scrolling, and then tried remapping things since my mouse doesn't have many buttons. Mousewheel tilt left/right and left/right scroll did nothing as well. All of these worked in Chrome.
Last edited by Seaish on Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Horizontal Scroll doesn't work

Post by TruePikachu »

Horizontal scroll isn't widely supported, unfortunately. However, what do you even want to happen? Horizontal scroll can't be bound by default to moving the map horizontally because the default binding for the vertical wheel is map zoom; this wouldn't be a proper control scheme.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

TruePikachu wrote:Horizontal scroll isn't widely supported, unfortunately. However, what do you even want to happen? Horizontal scroll can't be bound by default to moving the map horizontally because the default binding for the vertical wheel is map zoom; this wouldn't be a proper control scheme.
Seaish is talking about the preview map under world generation. scroll wheel moves it up and down.

Seaish
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Seaish »

Yeah, sorry if that wasn't clear. This is for the map generation preview specifically.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

What version is that?

Seaish
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Seaish »

Loewchen wrote:What version is that?
Ah sorry, I edited into the title. 0.16.2

Dominik
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [0.16.2] Horizontal Scroll doesn't work

Post by Dominik »

Can you please specify what "doesn't work" means? When I grab the bar by mouse or click the end buttons, it does work for me (0.16.2). So do you mean only keyboard / wheel scroll does not work, or the drag/button scroll does not work either? If the later is the case, can you please specify your system to narrow it down? Thanks.

Seaish
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Seaish »

Oh, I am just talking about mouse scroll wheel/button controls, not the scroll bar or dragging, which work fine.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

I can confirm the issue (on 0.16.3).
With a laptop that has a multi-touch touchpad you are able to scroll the preview map vertically (using 2 fingers), but not horizontally.

However I'm not aware of any dialog/window that allows horizontal scrolling in Factorio anyway (during a game vertical scrolling will zoom in/out, horizontal scrolling has no effect), so for me it's more of a missing feature.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

daniel34 wrote:I can confirm the issue (on 0.16.3).
With a laptop that has a multi-touch touchpad you are able to scroll the preview map vertically (using 2 fingers), but not horizontally.
If this is a Synaptics touchpad under Windows, please note that the scroll functionality offered (both horizontal and vertical) is actually emulated under many circumstances, and should not be trusted to behave the same as a hardware scroll wheel.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [16.2] Horizontal Scroll doesn't work with non keyboard device

Post by Rseding91 »

At the moment we don't support horizontal scrolling - in fact if it's picked up it's translated to vertical scrolling.

That may change in the future but right now that's how it is.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

TruePikachu wrote:
daniel34 wrote:I can confirm the issue (on 0.16.3).
If this is a Synaptics touchpad under Windows, please note that the scroll functionality offered (both horizontal and vertical) is actually emulated under many circumstances, and should not be trusted to behave the same as a hardware scroll wheel.
It's an "ELAN PS/2 Port Input Device", but I can't rule out that it is emulated anyway. However it works on all the programs that I've tested it with (Chrome, MS Office, Acrobat Reader, ...), Factorio is the only one that displays a horizontal scrollbar where it doesn't work.

As Rseding already mentioned horizontal scrolling (via mouse input) is not supported, so that would explain it.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Return to “Minor issues”