Minor stutter every ~3 seconds affecting gameplay?

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Hobocop
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Minor stutter every ~3 seconds affecting gameplay?

Post by Hobocop »

Having an issue with the game stuttering very briefly every ~3 seconds or so. Only noticed it since 0.16 released; played earlier versions with and without mods for a long time without this ever happening. Currently just playing vanilla.

I didn't even notice it at first, but it became apparent when running and shift+placing conveyors, every 3 seconds or so there's a small freeze and the game misses placing one section of a conveyor.

I searched and couldn't find a similar report, apologies if there is one and I missed it!

Current log file attached.
Specs: Windows 7 64 bit
Geforce 670 graphics card
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(5.2 KiB) Downloaded 98 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Minor stutter every ~3 seconds affecting gameplay?

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. It looks like you don't have sufficient VRAM on your graphics card to run the high quality graphics. If you turn the graphics quality from high to normal it should fix the issue you're having.

Other options you can try: turn video memory usage from high to all, reduce (or increase) atlas texture size. Basically just play around with the graphics options :P some people have luck increasing them to fix performance problems some people need to reduce them.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

would just like to add. nvidia drivers as of late are pretty bad. especially on older hardware.
the best driver for the 6** series, is a very old one. 314.22
my last card was a 670.

Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jon8RFC »

What fixed it for me (in 0.15) was setting the video memory usage to "all", and it smoothed out. I haven't had a chance to play 16 yet, but I had regular stuttering in 15 with high quality graphics and my computer is old and weak with just 1gb vram. That was my fix.

Hobocop
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hobocop »

Thanks so much for the replies. I re-started my computer and it seems to have smoothed things out, so it could have been an issue with video memory being taken up by something else in the background.

Still, I think it's time to upgrade my card to experience the game in all its power and glory!

cbhj1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by cbhj1 »

for those that come across this issue, I was able to get back to smooth performance by setting the VRAM usage to high and the atlas size to 4096

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

there was a patch added in 0.16.3 to address the performance with med/low video memory usage setting.

"Fixed very low performance of drawing decoratives on medium or lower video memory usage setting."

cbhj1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by cbhj1 »

What I was seeing that fit the topic description was fast rendering and page flipping for about 2-3 seconds, then a ~200ms spike in the flip time even with vsync off

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”