[jiri][0.16.2][Linux]Artifacts

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
Unboxious
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[jiri][0.16.2][Linux]Artifacts

Post by Unboxious »

I'm getting artifacting on the terrain. Looks like this: http://steamcommunity.com/id/unboxious/ ... 4604850343.

I'm running Arch Linux with the LTS 4.9 kernel. I'm using the open-source AMDGPU drivers, with an R9 290X GPU. Let me know what other information you need (save files, logs, etc.) and I'll get them for you.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.16.2][Linux]Artifacts

Post by impetus maximus »

the devs always want a log file. How to report a bug - READ BEFORE POSTING

Unboxious
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Unboxious »

My bad! Attached are the log files. I left the save out because this is happening on all of my old saves (well, at least two of them from 0.15), and on new games also.

Edit: It runs fine on Windows, on the same machine.
Attachments
factorio-previous.log
(47.64 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
factorio-current.log
(42.55 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Last edited by Unboxious on Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

great, appreciate it. welcome to the forums BTW. :)

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Try deleting crop-cache.dat from your installation directory.

jiri
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [jiri][0.16.2][Linux]Artifacts

Post by jiri »

Hi, I've been looking into this and it seems like it could be a driver bug. If it's not too much trouble, could you check if the problem persists on a different driver?

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Could you please save this file to Steam/steamapps/common/Factorio/data/core/graphics/shaders/ ? (Overwrite the one that is already there)
and try to run the game again?

Unboxious
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Unboxious »

Loewchen wrote:Try deleting crop-cache.dat from your installation directory.
Gave that a try; it didn't work.
jiri wrote:Hi, I've been looking into this and it seems like it could be a driver bug. If it's not too much trouble, could you check if the problem persists on a different driver?
I really wish I could say it isn't too much trouble, but it actually would be: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU#AMDGPU_PRO. That's a shame, because odds are pretty high that you're right about it being a driver issue. That having been said, this driver did work with 0.15.
posila wrote:Could you please save this file to Steam/steamapps/common/Factorio/data/core/graphics/shaders/ ? (Overwrite the one that is already there)
and try to run the game again?
I gave that a try, didn't work.

Anyways, thanks for the responses, and sorry it took me so long to get back to you! I'm in the middle of wrapping up a semester, and pretty much everything was due today. It's done now though. *phew*.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Unboxious wrote:That having been said, this driver did work with 0.15.
There have not been any critial shaders in 0.15, so you wouldn't know they don't work, unless you watched someone's video and see they don't have green tinted night vision.

The driver complains OpenGL 4.5 is not supported when trying to compile the shaders, which makes no sense as they have header for version 1.2
We though maybe Windows style line endings confuse it, so the file I shared here, was the shader converted to UNIX style line endings.

If you want, you could try to edit the shader and change the version header to #version 130 or #version 150

Unboxious
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Unboxious »

posila wrote:
Unboxious wrote:If you want, you could try to edit the shader and change the version header to #version 130 or #version 150
Okay, I'll try to remember to give that a try later today.

jiri
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by jiri »

I've been doing some more investigation into this over the weekend and it seems like it probably is a driver issue, since I've seen similar issues pop up with other projects too, the common denominator being the open-source AMD driver.

However, I don't want to leave it at that, so I'll try to see if there's anything I can do about it over the next few days. I'll also try to reach out to the driver maintainers to see if there's a known workaround for this :)

Unboxious
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Unboxious »

If you want, you could try to edit the shader and change the version header to #version 130 or #version 150
That didn't work either. Thanks for trying though! I think it really is probably a driver problem as jiri suggested.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

For 0.16.6 I made a change that if alpha-masking shader is disabled, it will render tiles and transitions without any tint, so it won't look so ugly, at least.
Other than that ... we tried to add pre-compiled OpenGL shaders, but it didn't work with version of OpenGL we use.

Unboxious
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Unboxious »

posila wrote:For 0.16.6 I made a change that if alpha-masking shader is disabled, it will render tiles and transitions without any tint, so it won't look so ugly, at least.
Other than that ... we tried to add pre-compiled OpenGL shaders, but it didn't work with version of OpenGL we use.
Just tested it. Looks much better; even though it isn't a perfect solution, the remaining graphical issues aren't distracting at all. Thanks!

Return to “1 / 0 magic”