German capital letter ẞ (Eszett) visual glitch

We are aware of them, but they have low priority. We have more important things to do. They go here in order not to take space in the main bug thread list.
Kayanor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

German capital letter ẞ (Eszett) visual glitch

Post by Kayanor »

I was translating the Construction Robots tutorial when I encountered the string "BITE BITE BITE" (when the red biter runs towards the laser turret).

In German the capital letter ẞ (Eszett) was officially recognized as the uppercase variant of the ß letter some months ago.
The translation of the previously mentioned string - "BEIẞ BEIẞ BEIẞ" - actually requires that letter but it looks weird in Factorio's font.

I don't know if it is possible to make the ẞ not look out of place, but as far as I can see from the image, the letter itself is working.
Former moderator.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: German capital letter ẞ (Eszett) visual glitch

Post by posila »

Strange. Is this character used in any other strings and is it out of place in those also?
It looks as if this character was not in default font (TitilliumWeb), so it used fallback font for this particular character.

Kayanor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Kayanor »

The Eszett letter is never the first letter of a word, only the uncapitalized (lowercase) variant "ß" is used throughout the translations.
Usage of the "ẞ" (uppercase) is only kinda neccessary because the string ("BITE BITE BITE" - "BEIẞ BEIẞ BEIẞ") is written in all uppercase letters - that's the exact purpose that letter was introduced this year for.

For now I translated that string to "BEISS BEISS BEISS" which is also correct but less appealing. The fallback letter looks like the ẞ from Arial.
Former moderator.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

I checked it TitilliumWeb font was updated and it was not. I don't think we will ever fix this.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

I have German keyboard and here is only one "ß", if you write it with shift, you can get only "?", nothing else.
By pressing of AltGr+ß you get "\", here is no way to write it in upper-case.
Last edited by darkfrei on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kayanor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Kayanor »

darkfrei wrote:I have German keyboard and here is only one "ß", if you write it with shift, you can get only "?", nothing else.
Pressing of AltGr+ß you get "\", here is no way to write it in upper-case.
Alt Gr + Shift + ß -> ẞ
Former moderator.

Return to “Minor issues”