[15.37] Transparent menus and blurred icons

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
cafihapa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[15.37] Transparent menus and blurred icons

Post by cafihapa »

I updated Factorio to 15.37 via Steam before loading it today. Upon loading in, I noticed that the menus were transparent. I thought this was odd, but didn't pay much attention or concern to it. Upon loading into a game proper, I noticed that all of the menus were transparent, as well as the icons were blurred beyond recognition. Some brief googling turned up this bug report: viewtopic.php?f=182&t=28221 which does fix the issue. However, I am not running an integrated intel card, nor did having linear filtering enabled cause this issue prior to 15.37. Disabling it does resolve the issue, however. I consulted with some folks on the factorio discord and verified the game files via Steam, as well as renamed the mods folder to force it to load with zero mods. This had no effect on the graphical glitches/problems. The transparency and icon blur is 100% reproducible; all of the time that I have linear filtering for icons enabled in the graphics menu, with or without mods, through computer restarts. If I disable it, the graphical errors go away, with or without mods, through computer restarts.

I've attached screenshots and a log file, and will be happy to provide anything else required. I can also be found directly on discord at keylaeris#0284

Thanks!

edit: forgot my mods folder.
Attachments
mods.7z
(122.36 MiB) Downloaded 102 times
factorio-current.log
(25.85 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
2017-10-17 (6).png
2017-10-17 (6).png (2.4 MiB) Viewed 4068 times
2017-10-17 (5).png
2017-10-17 (5).png (2.44 MiB) Viewed 4068 times
2017-10-17 (4).png
2017-10-17 (4).png (2.83 MiB) Viewed 4068 times
2017-10-17 (3).png
2017-10-17 (3).png (2.75 MiB) Viewed 4068 times

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [15.37] Transparent menus and blurred icons

Post by posila »

Thanks for the thorough report.
What version have you played before updating to 0.15.37? (Are you signed up for experimental updates)
Is is possible your graphics driver updated between time you played last time and updating to 0.15.37?

cafihapa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by cafihapa »

I am signed up for experimental, yes. I've been playing .15.x since before it became stable - I didn't stop and look at the versioning, but I should have been on 15.36 prior.

I did update my OS from windows 7 to windows 10, but that was over a week ago, and I've put in at least a dozen hours of play time since (rookie numbers joke) and the graphical glitch only appeared this morning after Steam updated me to 15.37 (I noticed because it took some time to actually log in when Steam loaded - I tabbed over and saw the updating happening). So, while there has been a significant change to my PC in the past week, I'd feel confident in betting a testicle that there were no driver updates between last night and today, as I'm the only user on this machine that has admin rights.

Anything else I can provide? For now, I'm just going to run with that setting toggled off. Do you want a dxdiag, etc?

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

0.15.34 (stable), 0.15.35 and 0.15.36 are all still available in the Steam betas tab, if you revert to one of these can you replicate the bug with the same settings?

Your saves/mods will be fine, Factorio will just tell you that newer saves can't be loaded in older versions if you attempt to do that.

0.15.35-0.15.37 should not have changed anything in the graphics code, so if you can replicate it on older versions although they worked before it's likely a driver/windows update (maybe a driver bug), if it only shows in 0.15.37 then it's probably a Factorio bug.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

cafihapa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by cafihapa »

Testing it now. I'll do it with mods, and without, to be totally thorough.

cafihapa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by cafihapa »

I'll be damned, it has to have been something on my machine then, because I'm getting the same issue on 15.35

Where do I/we go from here?
Attachments
2017-10-17 (11).png
2017-10-17 (11).png (3.71 MiB) Viewed 4017 times

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Where do I/we go from here?
I have no idea how to efficiently diagnose these kind of problems. If I could reproduce the issue on my computer I'd try to change random things until it started to work.
Please download special build of 0.15.37 (in attachement), extract factorio-run.exe next to factorio.exe in Steam folder and run it. Make sure linear filtering is enabled and the problem is still present.

Load a save or start a new game. Press F11, debug window should pop up.
1) First tick "set mipmap lod bias" checkbox and see if icons/gui has changed.
2) Lower value of mipmap lod bias and see if icons are getting sharper or not (you can hold "-" button pressed and watch if anything is changing, the changes should be visible immediately, no need to go below -3.00).
You can also try to set positive values and see if icons get more blured out.
3) Click "save atlas" button. atlas-1.png should be created next to the factorio-run.exe. Upload it here, please.

Thanks for your help.
Attachments
x64-gfx-experiment.zip
(9.74 MiB) Downloaded 95 times

cafihapa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by cafihapa »

I have extracted the .exe from the attached zip into steam\steam apps\common\factorio\bin\x64

After toggling on linear filtering and restarting factorio for it to take effect, the bug is still present. Toggling mipmap lod bias does not have an effect. Going into the negative has no visible effect, whatsoever, to -3 and lower (just ran over it while looking at icons). Increasing the value into the positives causes worse color blur, to the point where around ~4 or so the icons have changed into a singular blob of color, nothing distinguishable. The item counts remain perfectly clear, however.

atlas-1-1.png is from ~ negative 3 value
atlas-1.png is from ~3.5 value

I'm not sure if there's a difference, but figure I should take two snaps.

Let me know what else I need to/ought to do to help! Thanks so much.
Attachments
atlas-1.png
atlas-1.png (5.42 MiB) Viewed 3953 times
atlas-1-1.png
atlas-1-1.png (5.42 MiB) Viewed 3953 times

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Thanks for testing.
I honestly expected either step 1) or 2) would fix the issue, or altas itself would be blurry.
It looks like DirectX/driver decided for whatever reason to use lower resolution mipmap than it should, and it can't be fixed by modifying mipmap lod bias.

Do you have the same issue in OpenGL? (set launch options "--force-opengl" in Factorio properties in Steam library)

EDIT: Could you also check AMD Control Panel, there are no settings overriden for Factorio graphics profile?

cafihapa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by cafihapa »

Apologies for taking so long to get back to you. irl and work has been a killer, lately.

Modifying the application launch settings in Steam appears to have fixed it? I'm attaching two screenshots, one of the game with "--force-opengl" minus the quotes applied in Steam, the other is a screenshot of the AMD control panel's settings. I'm not 100% positive I'm in the right place to verify that there are no settings specifically for Factorio, but I've never set them, so if it did happen, I'm not sure how it would've.

I'll be able to check back after work tonight and tomorrow for replies to get you what you need a bit faster, thanks!
Attachments
2017-10-26 (3).png
2017-10-26 (3).png (3.44 MiB) Viewed 3779 times
2017-10-26 (2).png
2017-10-26 (2).png (347.8 KiB) Viewed 3779 times

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Thanks. I think you are in the right place in the control center and all value are default. I am out of ideas what to change, so I consider --force-opengl as reasonable workaround. Thanks for your cooperation.

Return to “1 / 0 magic”