[Research] Productivity bonus mostly lost with many labs

Bugs that are actually features.
mathe172
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[Research] Productivity bonus mostly lost with many labs

Post by mathe172 »

The productivity bonus progress bar for any recipe resets when the recipe is changed. While this is reasonable for almost all cases, it is devastating for research labs - since you're mostly running many labs in parallel, the productivity bonus bar never has the chance to fill up for many smaller researches.

A possible solution: Just merge the two progress bars into one for labs - as science packs are already used up continuously, there's no issue with partially used ingredients. Merging the two is fully equivalent in terms of speed and used resources, and doesn't create any exploits.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Research] Productivity bonus mostly lost with many labs

Post by Rseding91 »

Lab productivity is actually applied the instant it's created. The bar is purely a visual to show that it's moving.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

mathe172
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mathe172 »

Thanks for the (very quick) answer, that's nice to know!
Does this fact also apply to the "main" green progress bar? Or is that part really lost when the research is finished?

While I'm happy just knowing how it works, it would be nice to show this also in-game

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

mathe172 wrote:Thanks for the (very quick) answer, that's nice to know!
Does this fact also apply to the "main" green progress bar? Or is that part really lost when the research is finished?

While I'm happy just knowing how it works, it would be nice to show this also in-game
All progress is immediately applied to the total research progress as it consumes durability from the science packs. Nothing is ever lost.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Not a bug”