no curved rail as blueprint symbol

Bugs that are actually features.
Killerhuehnchen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

no curved rail as blueprint symbol

Post by Killerhuehnchen »

Since curved rail has been removed as placeable entity there is no way to use them as one of the four icons for a blueprint. :(
I'm currently building a rail network and can't quite symbolize turns in the blueprints (except using the signal letter 'T'). And using for example 'rail', 'T', 'R', '2' (two lane right turn) isn't a satisfactorio system.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: no curved rail as blueprint symbol

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however this isn't a bug. Blueprint icons are limited to the available items in the game and because there's no curved-rail item in the game which means it can't be used as a blueprint icon.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

A bit inconsistent since we can use curved rails as filter for deconstruction planers.
2017-06-24-13-41-57-1441350.jpg
2017-06-24-13-41-57-1441350.jpg (18.54 KiB) Viewed 1852 times
Every entity a deconstruction planer can filter should be a valid symbol for a deconstruction planer/blueprint.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

The deconstruction planner operates off entities where the blueprint operates off items. When it comes to blueprints the items used to build the entities are what the icons were originally designed for.

We could possibly change the blueprint to allow both entities and items however there's a large overlap between the two and it would require some decisions about which is allowed and why as well as why one wouldn't be shown (such as an entity not being possible in a blueprint but having an associated item with the same icon).
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

I vote for "every art asset in the game" as things you can use for blueprint icons.

At the very least, every art asset that is within a reasonable size/shape range. So maybe not the title screen, or the image of the game's name.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

5thHorseman wrote:I vote for "every art asset in the game" as things you can use for blueprint icons.

At the very least, every art asset that is within a reasonable size/shape range. So maybe not the title screen, or the image of the game's name.
You could narrow it down by saying any icon sized asset like 32x32 and 64x64.
128x128 already looks ugly when shrinking it down to 32x32 and becomes a total mess when shrunk further in the 14x14? size used when displaying 3 or 4 icons for a blueprint.

Return to “Not a bug”