[0.15.14-15] Beacons consume power with no modules

Bugs that are actually features.
xBlizzDevious
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.15.14-15] Beacons consume power with no modules

Post by xBlizzDevious »

Before 0.15.14, beacons would consume power only if they had modules installed. As of 0.15.15 (probably happened in 0.15.14 but was at work when both versions were released so just went straight to 0.15.15), my empty beacons are now consuming power. Their animation is also running all of the time, again, something that never happened before with empty beacons.

I don't mind too much as they would all be consuming power eventually. But when building large sections of my base, I place the beacons down and don't install modules until they're ready to go so they don't waste power.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.15.14-15] Beacons consume power with no modules

Post by Rseding91 »

Beacons were changed to always run in 0.15.14.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

xBlizzDevious
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by xBlizzDevious »

Rseding91 wrote:Beacons were changed to always run in 0.15.14.
Then perhaps changing your wording in the changelog would be suitable. It simply says "optimised beacons". Not "made beacons always run so as to use less resources".

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

xBlizzDevious wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:Beacons were changed to always run in 0.15.14.
Then perhaps changing your wording in the changelog would be suitable. It simply says "optimised beacons". Not "made beacons always run so as to use less resources".
Always-running was just one part of the optimization. Listing every tiny part of each change would make the changelog a few pages every bug fix release and wouldn't be useful to the majority of people reading it.

teenkertoy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by teenkertoy »

Well it used to be super convenient that a beacon with modules would not consume power if the factories nearby were idle (if the bonus was not being used by anything nearby). Looks like we lost that feature. Is this on purpose too?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

teenkertoy wrote:Well it used to be super convenient that a beacon with modules would not consume power if the factories nearby were idle (if the bonus was not being used by anything nearby). Looks like we lost that feature. Is this on purpose too?
It never worked that way.

Rockstar04
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Rockstar04 »

But the ability to remove modules from a beacon (say with inserters) to reduce power consumption IS a feature that has been lost now. An alternative could be to finally allow connecting beacons to the circuit network.

Return to “Not a bug”