[0.15.12] Able to join servers that are at the player limit

Bugs that are actually features.
SupplyDepoo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.15.12] Able to join servers that are at the player limit

Post by SupplyDepoo »

It's possible to join servers that are exactly at the player limit (e.g. "2/2"), regardless of the "ignore when returning" setting (it works with servers I've never joined before). Seems like an off-by-one error or a wrong comparison operator.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 23.31.26.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 23.31.26.png (3.02 MiB) Viewed 889 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.15.12] Able to join servers that are at the player limit

Post by Rseding91 »

The limit is also ignored for anyone who is an admin.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

SupplyDepoo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.15.12] Able to join servers that are at the player limit

Post by SupplyDepoo »

I see. It still seems like something that should be addressed somehow since it makes the player count/limit an unreliable indicator of whether you can join a server or not (as a non-admin, non-returning player). And trial and error isn't (currently) a good solution because if you can't join, it kicks you back to the menu and you have to load the server list again and set up all your filters again (which is a separate issue).

I think the most logical way to address this would be to make the admin check when attempting to join a server (if possible), rather than treating admins who are already playing differently. That way admins can always join, but the player limit is more accurately enforced when admins are playing.

Because if I set up my server to only allow 4 people, that's probably because I'm concerned about my system performance with more players, or because I don't want 'too many cooks'. But if I'm playing with another friend who I made admin a while ago so he can pause/unpause the game, then that means 4 more people could join. It hasn't happened to me yet, and now that you explained this to me I understand, but if I was hosting a server which I limited to 4 players and then saw 6 people playing I would be confused.

A simpler fix might be to just color the player count red if you can't join (all players - admins >= limit) and add a tooltip to the server setup screen explaining that the max players setting only applies to non-admins.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Have a great evening!

Return to “Not a bug”