[Oxyd] Running Factorio makes XFCE window-dragging laggy

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Baughn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[Oxyd] Running Factorio makes XFCE window-dragging laggy

Post by Baughn »

Frankly, I won't blame you if you ignore this one...

When running Factorio under XFCE, after it's started, dragging windows around the screen gets really laggy; that is, it only updates four to eight times per second. Not smooth at all. That's true for the Factorio window, of course, but it also affects Chrome. I haven't checked if it's universal, but I can do that if you actually want to debug it. Resizing windows doesn't have the same effect, and screen-drawing in general is fine; nothing else lags.

The problem probably didn't start with 0.15, but does seem to have gotten worse. Maybe due to high-resolution textures, as a guess?

This is with an nVidia 1070, so it shouldn't be a lack of resources...

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [0.15.x] Running Factorio makes XFCE window-dragging laggy

Post by Oxyd »

Do you have the compositor enabled? Are you using the proprietary NVidia driver or nouveau?

If everything else is fine, though, I'd highly suspect xfwm to be at fault here.

Baughn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Baughn »

Compositor enabled, proprietary nvidia driver. Disabling it fixes the problem, except that then I get screen tearing instead, so it's not ideal.

Baughn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Baughn »

Disabling the compositor doesn't fix the second problem, though: Namely, resizing the window makes Factorio lag out and sometimes (appear to) freeze.

That is, specifically dragging the side of the window to resize it. Using any of xfce's snapping features, or maximize/windowed fullscreen, it resizes near-instantly. If I drag it, then Factorio appears to freeze for a period of time proportional to the time I spent dragging.

I suspect what's going on here is you're doing some expensive calculation (GL setup? Texture atlast recalculation?) on resize, but allow for an infinite queue of resize requests. The simplest fix would be to throttle resizes, ignoring any concurrent resize events. (Just make sure the final resize event does eventually get executed.)

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I don't consider this worth any time to work on. I'm going to move it to won't fix.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

Rseding91 wrote:I don't consider this worth any time to work on. I'm going to move it to won't fix.
It's not like you will be fixing it anyway. :P

I can definitely confirm that resizing the Factorio window is super slow. I'll look into it.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [Oxyd] Running Factorio makes XFCE window-dragging laggy

Post by Oxyd »

So as it turns out, we were reloading a bunch of fonts with every resize event.

Fixed in 0.15.31.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”