Finished modules research missing in the research menu

Bugs that are actually features.
Gandalf
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Finished modules research missing in the research menu

Post by Gandalf »

In the research view you can find the icons of finished research on the bottom left. However the research icons for finished productivity, efficiency, and speed modules appear to be missing.

Now I realize that this may be intentional as some other research that has incremental levels also only shows up at the top as available research of the subsequent level. However it was my impression that this should only apply to research that improves statistics (such as the various damage upgrades, inserter stack size etc.) but not for research that unlocks new items and research branches (such as Automation 1-3, Military 1-3, etc.). Since the module researches do unlock new items and branches (most importantly Speed Module 1 is a dependency of Automation 3) I believe that this research should belong into the category where each level is treated individually and thus shows up in the finished research section.

Personally I just came across this as I was trying to look up the materials for Speed Module 1 and had to click my way through the dependency tree to find the respective research after I couldn't find it in the sidebar.

For completeness here's a screenshot of my research window, showing the level 1 module research has all been unlocked (tree bottom right) but are not visible in the finished research section on the left.
OS: Linux Mint 19 x64 | desktop: Awesome 4.2  |  Intel Core i5 8600k  |  16GB DDR4  |  NVidia GTX 1050 Ti (driver version: 410.104)    (2019-03)

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Finished modules research missing in the research menu

Post by Rseding91 »

That's by design. Research that is marked as "upgrade" doesn't show the previous ones in the GUI once they're done - just the latest one.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Finished modules research missing in the research menu

Post by BenSeidel »

Could we have some consistency then?
Either make the modules show up individually or make the automation, electric energy distribution, advanced material processing, logistics, etc hide the previous researches. The hiding of these would clear up the right hand side immensely.

Return to “Not a bug”