[0.14.22] Dedicated Server Freeze on Screen Sleep

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
tustin2121
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.14.22] Dedicated Server Freeze on Screen Sleep

Post by tustin2121 »

I'm running a headless server via command line on my Mac desktop (Mavericks). This server is connected both via LAN and remotely via port forwarding. Whenever the screen goes to sleep, the clients report that the server is not responding until I wiggle the mouse to wake the screen again. In order to play for any length of time, I have to turn on Caffeine to keep the screen on.

And this isn't just when the screen goes to sleep: when I try to do anything else on the computer, the server begins freezing up intermittently, to the point where I have to restart the server to make it function again. It's like I have to keep the Terminal window focused in order for the server to continue running properly at all.

The server is not taking up any CPU under normal use, so I don't see how on earth it's being affected by things so benign as the screen turning off. It's not even going into power sleep mode: I disabled that long ago. The screen is turning off. I've had plenty of other servers running on this computer and never have any of them been affected by the screen turning off.

1. What did you do?
Nothing; I let the screen turn off on my Mac running the dedicated server.

2. What happened?
Client: "The server is not responding..." progress bar appears. When I wiggle the mouse, said bar vanishes. This happens every time.

The server doesn't report any state changes to the console log when this happens. Pressing enter in the terminal is fatal to the server, and it stops responding and can't be revived without restarting.

3. What did you expect to happen instead?
The server to NOT suddenly stop doing things when the screen turns off.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.14.22] Dedicated Server Freeze on Screen Sleep

Post by Loewchen »

Post the log after experiencing the issue please.

tustin2121
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by tustin2121 »

There's no logs, but there was the standard output on the console. But the thing is, there was nothing going on in the console when this bug was happening. I would have mentioned it if there was some sort of state change logged, but there wasn't.

Attached is the terminal output for the session. The first few errored runs were me setting up the server for the first time. Then the password missing run was me realizing that even though there's a server option for a password, the factorio client doesn't ask for one (when directly connecting) making that password field useless. The next run was the first time I found the freeze on screen sleep, and later on trying to do something else on the same computer causing issues. The next run, there's a gap in the lines followed by a ^C: that was me hitting enter to see if there was some sort of input that the console was expecting that might be the cause somehow, and the server then irreversibly hung, requiring two SIGINTs to kill it entirely. The final run was just leaving it be as me and my friends finished up the night.
Attachments
Terminal Saved Output.txt
Mac Terminal Saved output
(45.08 KiB) Downloaded 50 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I can't reproduce this. When I let my screen go into power saving mode the game keeps running just fine.

Are you sure the system wasn't going into sleep mode?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Pending”