[1.1.76] Crash on start (GraphicsInterfaceDX11::bindTexture) MR

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
Raijen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.76] Crash on start (GraphicsInterfaceDX11::bindTexture) MR

Post by Raijen »

Coming back from about a month away from playing and i'm getting consistant crashes on startup. The game will sometimes load into a save/menu, but sometimes will crash oh the loading screen. In any case it consistantly crashes within about 90 seconds of starting the load process.

I've updated GPU Drivers, restarted the machine and disabled all mods. I've had no other system instability at all. In addition, I've ensured that rivatuner/MSI Afterburner isn't running and that discord and Geforce Experience overlays are disabled as well as per similar threads.

System specs are RTX 3080ti, i7 12700k, 32 GB ram

Error messages and logs are consistant (other than the removal of referances to mods after i disabled all of them during troubleshooting).

--> 105237 105708 105763 105949 106100

pic
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(9.29 KiB) Downloaded 57 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [1.1.76] Crash on start (GraphicsInterfaceDX11::bindTexture)

Post by Loewchen »

Check if the non steam version works.

Raijen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Raijen »

Issue does not occur with stand alone version.

I tried disabling the steam overlay as well and running the steam version, but it still does the same.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

I don't know if this will help this situation or not, but maybe also try manually deleting all of the steam Factorio files from the main install directory, then use steam to verify file integrity (it'll redownload everything). There were a couple cases in the past where that worked (and note, simply doing a file integrity check without deleting the core game files did not work in those cases).

This may be different enough where that'll have no affect, but worth a shot?
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Raijen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Raijen »

Uninstalled via steam, did a full delete of the steamapps\common\factorio and appdata\roaming\factorio directories, disabled steam cloud to prevent it pulling any unnecesary files and reinstalled. Still crashed on startup.

I'll try the process of killing processes and seeing if that helps, as per the linked thread. I do have a few apps running (coretemp, a fan curve app etc. running)

EDIT: So the only things running currently are windows services and Steam and the issue persists. Ive been putting off installing the latest windows feature update, which i'll install overnight, and see if it fixes things.

Raijen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Raijen »

Ok, so the feature update changed nothing, however changing from the nvidia game ready to the studio driver caused the issue to resolve, and changing back to game ready caused it to happen again.

Definately seems to be an issue of some sort regarding it, factorio, and steam as other steam games are unaffected. Unfortunately staying on studio drivers are causing frame issues in other games, so i guess i'll be playing the non-steam version for awhile :(

Raijen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Raijen »

So was playing some more with this this morning. Forcing OpenGL via the ini file allows the game to run in steam w/ overlay, even with the current game ready drivers, but has some texture issues, in particular the water looks... off (see screenshot). It does appear to be stable however.

**EDIT** It does appear to crash every once and awhile still, but much less frequetly, probably about once an hour or so. The logs look similar, but I'm attaching one from after the opengl change, just in case.
Attachments
factorio-dump-current.dmp
(885.09 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
factorio-current.log
(22.51 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Factorio_water_texture_issue.png
Factorio_water_texture_issue.png (3.45 MiB) Viewed 1463 times

Return to “1 / 0 magic”