[1.1.76] Minimap zoom is affected by UI scaling in game menu

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

nrrdio
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.1.76] Minimap zoom is affected by UI scaling in game menu

Post by nrrdio »

After you start the game, you are on the main game menu. From there, press ctrl and numpad+ or numpad- to adjust the UI scale. This is a well known easter egg to look at more of the funny background situations happening behind the menu.

Keep the main menu on an extreme scaling option (i.e. scaled way up or way down), then start the game. The result is that the minimap is zoomed in or out depending on what the UI scaling was to start the game.

Due to the design decision to not include any configuration of the minimap zoom level, you are now stuck with a zoomed minimap until you quit the game, return to the main menu, reset the UI scale, then restart the game.

As I see it, there are several potential resolutions that come down to two design decisions: either block something or enable something.

The blocking options:
  • Do nothing. It's what people get for being silly on the main game menu.
  • Don't allow UI scaling on the main menu to zoom the background gameplay. This would be terrible IMO, people like this easter egg.
  • Don't allow the main menu UI scaling to impact the minimap when the game starts. This would require some additional step during game load to reset zoom levels.
The enabling options:
  • (recommended:) Add a minimap zoom level slider to the interface configuration menu. This would give megabase folks a little more control over how they want to view their world.
  • Catch mousewheel scrolls while hovering over the minimap to zoom the minimap instead of the player view. This would make minimap zooming a more active element in the gameplay, which seems outside of the scope of the base game and is likely not a viable option.
Attachments
Current situation with 3 different scales and resulting minimap.
Current situation with 3 different scales and resulting minimap.
factorio-bug.png (1.52 MiB) Viewed 1456 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.76] Minimap zoom is affected by UI scaling in game menu

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. This is currently working as intended. Because of that I'm going to move this to ideas and suggestions.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

nrrdio
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [1.1.76] Minimap zoom is affected by UI scaling in game menu

Post by nrrdio »

It's intended for the minimap to be affected by main menu UI scaling, and not adjustable in-game?

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”