[Tobias][1.1.72] Belt overly compressing

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Beeka274
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[Tobias][1.1.72] Belt overly compressing

Post by Beeka274 »

I built a bus and upgraded one of the belts to red. Later I realised that the belts after the splitter were overly compressed. When iron is pulled from the belts later on, the compression does not shrink. When I redirect the belt just after the compression, the compression shrinks and disappears. I have mods but I don't think they would've caused this. I have not "rotated this belt 100 times", it could've been due to the save being used for multiplayer (2 players, the other person did not do any jank here either). It could've been due to the inserter, it could've been due to the splitter setup and belt type differences.
with show-transport-line-gaps
with show-transport-lines (it flickers when items are pulled off)
Mods
ImageImage
Save file is attached.
Attachments
bug.zip
the save file from after it happened (I don't have one from before, sorry)
(16.76 MiB) Downloaded 65 times

Tobias1595
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Tobias][1.1.72] Belt overly compressing

Post by Tobias1595 »

Thank you for the report. While I could not figure out how that line of items got compressed like that, a fix for the overcompression not disappearing will be included in the next release.

DarkShadow44
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Tobias1595 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:25 am
While I could not figure out how that line of items got compressed like that
Too bad. I'm really curious how that happened.

Tobias1595
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Tobias1595 »

I investigated further, and found the culprit for creating the overcompression: Neither you nor your friend have rotated the belts hundreds of times, but a mod has. "EditorExtensions" rotates every built and upgraded belt clockwise one full circle in search for the mod's infinity-loaders and linked-belts. (Upgrading raises the 'mined' event for the old entity and the 'built' event for the new one.)
When you upgraded the shown line of belts, it was probably full and backed up with items, making them compress from the rotations, but giving no room to decompress right away. Then the logic explained in the fix above took hold and bunched all these compression gaps up right behind the splitter.
In that sense, the creation of that overcompressed section is indeed caused by rotating belts unreasonably often.

I hope this clears things up.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”