Option to load only half of animation frames

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Option to load only half of animation frames

Post by sparr »

It seems like it would save a lot of VRAM to only load half of all animation frames. Or maybe just half the frames of animations for big sprites, or something like that.

I've been manually editing some mods I play to shrink their sprites and shorten their animations, so I can play on my trusty potato.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Option to load only half of animation frames

Post by ssilk »

Moved to implemented -- ssilk

Luckily there is already a similar mode in Factorio (due to the same restriction):

viewtopic.php?t=9300

-> I think "REDUCE SPRITE RESOLUTION" is you thing. :) It just halves the sprite resultion while loading, which reduce the memory size by factor 4.

Hope for you that it helps. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Settings -> Graphics -> Advanced: High-quality animations
is what you need to deactivate. This is exactly for the number of animation frames. I am not exactly sure how it interacts with modded entities, though.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

ssilk wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:54 am
Luckily there is already a similar mode in Factorio (due to the same restriction):

viewtopic.php?t=9300

-> I think "REDUCE SPRITE RESOLUTION" is you thing. :) It just halves the sprite resultion while loading, which reduce the memory size by factor 4.
Does it really? I thought this just loaded the normal resolution sprites instead of the high resolution sprites. I'm having trouble with some mods that only publish "normal" resolution sprites that are still far bigger than what I need or want. Downsampling the sprites is something I'm doing to them manually (by rescaling the sprite image then in the prototype I am halving the width/height and doubling the scale), but removing half the animation frames would be a lot harder to script so I haven't done it [yet].
valneq wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:58 pm
Settings -> Graphics -> Advanced: High-quality animations
is what you need to deactivate. This is exactly for the number of animation frames. I am not exactly sure how it interacts with modded entities, though.
The explanation of the option says "some", and the examples given suggest it's a smaller set than most. If it's almost all, that's great, but I'd like confirmation of that?

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”