Let me share my (UX professional biased) experience with the tutorial...
About the first part:
- Compilatron takes forever to explain what (and how) to do next.
- The objectives list checked "mine stone" after first stone was collected, but that isn't enough to make anything.
- Compilatron doesn't explain at all how to build the furnace.
- Once built, after some (long) time, Compilatron says the furnace require fuel, but doesn't tell me how to acquire it.
- Unclear how to acquire iron ore (I had to open the map to see where the ore patch were). Compilatron should guide me there.
- Crafting a burner drill requires another stone furnace, but there is no indication that I must craft another, pick the one I already built or collect enough stone for that before crafting the drill. Also, "Hints and Tips" doesn't explain that some items requires another items.
- Compilatron started to run somewhere south after I finished the mining drill, but was completely silent the whole time.
- Although current tasks require you to have coal mined with the burner drill, there was no coal around Compilatron (it was far right, outside of the screen)
- Sometimes Compilatron rushes to say something (e.g.: fuel needed in a furnace), but no tooltip appears.
- Compilatron told me to build a inserter, but the tooltip didn't go away after placing one in the designated tile.
- Also, the "hints ans tips" says I can rotate the inserter, but Compilatron doesn't, and that is crucial to advance in the tutorial.
- Even after rotating the inserter nothing happened because there is one belt missing (below the inserter) after removing the loader, but the sprite of the "claw" is close enough to the last belt, making it incredibly hard to understand why it doesn't work (for a newcomer, this should work because it looks like it should).
- Compilatron told me to press "T" to open the research screen, but there was no indication at all of what to do next. My first instinct was to click in the GIGANTIC "Basic Eletronics" button in the middle of the screen, but the real "Start Research" button was gray and completely out of focus.
- Can't build Eletronic Circuit or another assembler because copper cables can't be built by hand, but the current objective is to create 5 Eletronic Circuits. That means the user promptly selects "Eletronic Circuit" as the assembler recipe and is unable to start making progress towards the objective. There is no indication that he MUST select copper cables first, then change to Eletronic Circuit after assembling some cables.
Now, about the second part, I thought that as I have 1000+ hours of experience I'd cut through the campaign like a hot knife in butter, but guess what?!
I was trying to play it like a new player would, so I was slowly making the things I was told to do by Compilatron and the Objectives, but halfway through I decided to be a bit more aggressive, since I was getting hit hard...
Well, TOO LATE!!!
I was thrown to the
bitters like a baby dear, helplessly hopping from one side to another reloading the turrets.
That wasn't enough, though... My 2 ammo assemblers and my personal fabricator wasn't enough to keep up with the attack.
I understand the need to apply pressure on the player, forcing expansion & automation, but this campaign was a baseball bat and I was just a piñata.