Blueprints: Mirror/flip

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.15] Mirror blueprints horizontally or vertically

Post by aober93 »

killkrogs mod was updated for 0.15 as well

Krusnik
Inserter
Inserter

Mirror Blueprints over Vertical/Horizontal Axis

Post by Krusnik »

Did a bit of searching and didn't see this. Hope its not a dupe.
TL;DR
It'd be great to not have to use a mod to flip BP's horizontally or vertically.
What ?
While there is available mods to do exactly this, it seems it would be a feature that would be simple to implement. Maybe Shift+R to mirror/flip horizontally and Ctrl+Shift+R to flip vertically.
Why ?
Mirroring blueprints would be incredibly helpful for where appropriate. Even if it was only certain entities that could be mirrored, I could totally live with that.
Last edited by Krusnik on Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

fechnert
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Mirror Blueprints over Vertical/Horizontal Axis

Post by fechnert »

I agree. Thought exactly the same the last time a was building a train unloading station.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/'.76561198066150999.']Image[/url]

Julissa Doe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Julissa Doe »

Agree. This is too useful of a feature to be left out in core game. :)

gexxo
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gexxo »

Totally agree. It is just annoying to not be able to do this by default.

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

The game doesn't support this because not all blueprints can be mirrored correctly: see any machine with multiple fluid inputs/outputs (chemical plants, refineries) for a start; plus also rail layouts (since signals and stations are always on the right side with respect to travel direction). The mods which mirror blueprints simply ignore these issues and it's your problem if your mirrored blueprint no longer works, but in past threads it's sounded like the developers don't want to introduce an "official" feature which breaks in this way.

kreatious
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kreatious »

Can't just have it play that error sound when a blueprint can't be mirrored?

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

kreatious wrote:Can't just have it play that error sound when a blueprint can't be mirrored?
I'm sure that then they'd have bug reports about "BLUEPRINT NOT WORK PLZ FIX".

Okay, that was a bit of a joke, but seriously, if they have some things un-mirrorable, then people will consider it a bug and report it, and they'll either have to make it work somehow or have an imperfect mirroring system (which doesn't seem like something they would do).
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Patashu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Patashu »

Jap2.0 wrote:Okay, that was a bit of a joke, but seriously, if they have some things un-mirrorable, then people will consider it a bug and report it, and they'll either have to make it work somehow or have an imperfect mirroring system (which doesn't seem like something they would do).
I mean, if the devs make the error messages and detection of unable to be mirrored as pedantic as possible (e.g. rails only can't be flipped if there's signals, chemical plants only can't be flipped if they have a recipe with different fluid inputs/outputs, etc. and the message always says why) it wouldn't be a problem.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Maybe. Personally, I think that the developers would not want to put it in the game unless they could make it work perfectly, so I doubt it.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Krusnik
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Krusnik »

I do feel that having a universal mirror tool would not be applicable for all situations/entities. That being said, some of the more basic things like belts and assembly line could potentially be very straight forward when working on a mapping.

I'm with Patashu that some basic feedback on entities that were unflippable the vast majority of people would understand the issue and use the tool for what was available.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Actually, this is an already suggested thing :
search.php?keywords=blueprint+mirror&te ... mit=Search
:)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Krusnik
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Krusnik »

Koub wrote:Actually, this is an already suggested thing :
search.php?keywords=blueprint+mirror&te ... mit=Search
:)
I guess I suck at searching!

TRUEpicness
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TRUEpicness »

i dont think it would work for train stops/signals because of the right hand side thing
1 more YouTube vid before bed *starts 24hr long vid*

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Except if you use 2 way tracks. Actually the blueprint system does not carry content validity. You may create a blueprint with "insert faceroll here" contents, and plonk it down. The "factory-" created wouldn't work, but that's not what we expect from a blueprint. We just expect replication.

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

Koub wrote:Except if you use 2 way tracks. Actually the blueprint system does not carry content validity. You may create a blueprint with "insert faceroll here" contents, and plonk it down. The "factory-" created wouldn't work, but that's not what we expect from a blueprint. We just expect replication.
i agree. and i second the feature request.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Koub wrote:Except if you use 2 way tracks. Actually the blueprint system does not carry content validity. You may create a blueprint with "insert faceroll here" contents, and plonk it down. The "factory-" created wouldn't work, but that's not what we expect from a blueprint. We just expect replication.
Mirroring signals should be no problem but probably no what you wanted. Chain signals would now be after normal signals instead of before them. Worse with train stops as the train would stop nowhere near the inserters or pumps. I think you would have to add a filter for the mirroing so you can mirror the inserters and chests but leave the signals and train stops as is.

As for fluid using buildings they usualy have inputs on one side and outputs on the other. As long as all the buildings are layed out horizontal or vertical you have one direction left where you can mirror. And then you can rotate to get a near mirror for the other direction with the necessary change of pipes. If you have some fluid buildings that are horizontal and some that are vertical then, well, your problem. :)

The devs could add mirrored buildings to make mirroring blueprints perfect. I see no reason why a pumpjack needs to have its fluid output in only 4 possible places instead of allowing all 8 that would make mirroring possible.

Why are liquid inputs restricted to a fixed liquid anyway? Why not allow any pipe input to carry any liquid present in the recipe?
And one could make the output pipes mirror-able, e.g. instead of outputing one liquid at the top and the other at the bottom output one at top and bottom and the other in the middle. Mirrored it would be the same. Although this would be problematic for refineries with 3 outputs on one side, would be too large. Better to have one output per side and 2 freely selectable input pipes on the fourth.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

mrvn wrote:mirrored buildings to make mirroring blueprints perfect. I see no reason why a pumpjack needs to have its fluid output in only 4 possible places instead of allowing all 8 that would make mirroring possible.

Why are liquid inputs restricted to a fixed liquid anyway? Why not allow any pipe input to carry any liquid present in the recipe?
I remember seeing the devs answer to these questions. It was something like "It's intended, and part of the puzzle". If I have the faith, I'll try to find the actual posts, but it will take some time.

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

This would be cool 8-)
Most sandbox games do not have this, so I would like to have factorio to stick out from the crowd in that case.
PLS correct me if I'm wrong.
Also, why do they not change it so that 'Factorio' is actually a word in the forum dictionary, it is the name of the game after all :lol:
Gonna start playing again with 0.16 build.
That's all.

Jelmergu
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Implement Foreman's Blueprint flipping

Post by Jelmergu »

TL;DR
The Foreman mod adds the ability to mirror a blueprint, which I think should be a vanilla feature

What ?
Foreman has added the ability to mirror a blueprint by using a hotkey. I wonder why it is something that has to be added in with a mod, and isn't just vanilla. Foreman isn't yet updated for 0.16(as of 31-12-2017), which makes me aware of the fact that I use its mirroring ability a lot.

I think it will improve the game as I often use the balancers in my blueprint library to reduce x amount of belts to x amount of belts. (14 to 4 for example). I'd use two 7 to 4 balancers next to each other followed by 8 to 4 balancer. The problem here is that the 7 to 4 balancer has 2 belts worth of space next to it, which makes it 'ugly' to put next to eachother, but more importantly I have to space the 14 belts in the middle by two belts.

Well i'd best show a image of the visual problem I am talking about...
Nice balancer.png
Nice balancer.png (1.06 MiB) Viewed 5875 times
I think that most players agree with me that the left looks better than the right... It was a pain to make the left side though without the blueprint mirroring.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”