The noise from logistics robots / Drone sounds

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

BinaryMan
Inserter
Inserter

The noise from logistics robots / Drone sounds

Post by BinaryMan »

I think most of the ambient sounds are good in terms of fit, volume, and range, most people are moving around in the base so there is a good "mix" of industrial sounds now. But - due to how logistics robots frequently come to the player or are just all over the place delivering goods, inside a base you hear the constant whine of the logistics bots which overpowers the other sounds (or becomes the most frequent sound), to the point that it can become irritating. I think enabling toggling specific environment sounds is a bit much, but I am not sure any other way to address that, if particular sound(s) become bothersome. The range and volume drop-off on factories and refineries seems OK though. Perhaps the logistic robot sounds only near a roboport ?

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: The noise from logistics robots

Post by SHiRKiT »

Or we should have a setting for just the Logistic Robots. I replaced my robots sound file with a dummy soundless file. It's just IRRITATING.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

BinaryMan wrote:The range and volume drop-off on factories and refineries seems OK though. Perhaps the logistic robot sounds only near a roboport ?
+1
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Moved from general discussions
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

roothorick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by roothorick »

IMO the sound should be changed entirely. None of this sci-fi bleeping. Go for something a bit more realistic -- a persistent buzzing or whirring noise, similar to a quadcopter or RC helicopter in flight, preferably with doppler pitch-shifting applied. A base dominated by logistics bots should literally sound like a beehive.

Turtle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Turtle »

I made myself a very simple mod to adjust the volume for various things I find too loud, including the bots. Here are the details: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 794#p36543

For step 3, in the data.lua file, add these lines:

Code: Select all

data.raw["logistic-robot"]["logistic-robot"].working_sound.sound[1].volume = 0.1
data.raw["logistic-robot"]["logistic-robot"].working_sound.sound[2].volume = 0.1
data.raw["logistic-robot"]["logistic-robot"].working_sound.sound[3].volume = 0.1
data.raw["logistic-robot"]["logistic-robot"].working_sound.sound[4].volume = 0.1
data.raw["logistic-robot"]["logistic-robot"].working_sound.sound[5].volume = 0.1

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

ofca
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Drone sounds.

Post by ofca »

joined -- ssilk

There's already a nice selection of different "channels" in sound settings, but, at least in my case, there's one missing: Drone sounds volume. My GF is annoyed by them, and while I don't care either way all that much, I'd gladly trade drone sounds for sitting in head phones :)

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: The noise from logistics robots / Drone sounds

Post by GlassDeviant »

While I love headphones/headsets, I also support a separate volume slider for all drone sounds.
- GD

Sorry if my posts are becoming difficult to read, my typing ability is rapidly deteriorating due to a nerve disorder. I try to clean them up before posting but don't always get every last typo.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

:) In my opinion the sound is ... not terrible, but like a nasty catchy song. Last autumn, when the sound was added I had a ... hm ... difficult week, cause I always heard this "trrrrllrlrllllllrlrlrllrrrbbbrrrrrr" in background. Of course, when I didn't play it. ;) Some of the robot sounds are really nice, but this "always around you" is the problem. I think an extra loudness only for the robots don't solves this special problem, there needs just to be less sound and some other, not so catchy sound, when flying.

Khyron
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Khyron »

ssilk wrote:Moved from general discussions
This blue coloured text on the dark grey background makes my eyes bleed. It's like looking at a picture like this:

... Brain.. unable... to... lock... on... *blink blink*

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well, meanwhile I use cyan for that :)

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

dang, we need a smiley like that...4 eyes, 2 mouths...
- GD

Sorry if my posts are becoming difficult to read, my typing ability is rapidly deteriorating due to a nerve disorder. I try to clean them up before posting but don't always get every last typo.

ofca
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ofca »

*makes a drone sound*

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

I want everyone to remember that it could be worse.
I do still have that zip locally, and can re-upload if anyone wishes to fully experience that... experience.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

This is fixed in 0.12. Number of sounds are limited.

wragon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by wragon »

not sure to put this here or not, but its in part a response to the idea of giving logistics bots buzzing sounds, as well as a support for an in game ability to turn off or replace specific sounds. like an advanced setting.

i would say making a buzzing sound for the bots is a terrible idea (no offence) because some of us have Tinnitus. or ringing in the ears, which is why im posting on here.

i cant stand the buzzing from the powered assembling machines. not only running assembling machines, but when they are idle as well. any others with Tinnitus will understand when i say the sound hurts. is there a way (getting in to the files or something) to stop them from making that noise? its the only thing that i have a lot of problems with, and i dont want to just turn off sound.

Harkonnen604
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Harkonnen604 »

As for me - the most irritating thing about bot sounds is the sound when they enter or leave roboport. It's quite loud, with high-frequency noise harmonics. And these events happen very often.

BloodyRain2k
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BloodyRain2k »

So many years and not a single change to this...

Seriously, I want a seperate sound setting for them, they're loud as hell once it's more than 10.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

BloodyRain2k wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:47 pm
So many years and not a single change to this...

Seriously, I want a seperate sound setting for them, they're loud as hell once it's more than 10.
This issue is considered solved by changes implemented 7 years ago. If you don't like the way it currently works, you should create a new suggestion, explain what you don't like, what you suggest, ... (and forget about the old ways, they're not relevant any more).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”