5th Logistics Box (Filtered Yellow-or-Red)

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

abordoli
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

5th Logistics Box (Filtered Yellow-or-Red)

Post by abordoli »

Search and couldn't find this...

Also, typed this all up prior and the submission failed and going back deleted all my text...

Basically, I feel that there needs to be a 5th Logisitc Chest box that has the filter of a blue, but the be passive like a red/yellow.

Case in point:
-I want 50 units of Stone on me
-When I use stone I want it refilled
-When I obtain more stone than 50, I want it auto-trashed

(So far, so good with the current logistics system)

-When I trace that extra stone back, I noticed that it went to my yellow long-term logistic chest
-So you place a blue requestor chest where we want it to be stored, right?

(Again, so far so good with what we've got)

-Let's go back to that mechanism of getting stone to keep me at 50 units. Naturally, I attached an active provide chest to my stone storage, right?
-But what I observe is silly bots taking from the red provider and filling up my newly set-up blue requestor.
-Both chests are full of the stone allowed and although the red provider chest is still of use, the blue requestor is of zero use now

NOW, if I had a red provider chest that had the filters of a blue requestor chest (in other words, a passive, requestor chest), all in one chest I'd have the ability with a helpful inserter to have a box that both helps my character regulate the quantity of an item while also keeping the factory regulated and un-trashed.

Again, if I'm looking at this the wrong way, please let me know how I should be approaching this problem I've been dealing with for over 3,000 hours playing.

Yes, I can create really complex logisitic areas that put everything onto belts to sort things out, but you still get the issue of the reds filling the blues to their max making the blues useless buffers to place excess items the character is carrying.

Regards,
~B

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: 5th Logistics Box (Filtered Yellow-or-Red)

Post by JimBarracus »

Why even bother with where the items are stored.
You request them by bot anyway.

The Point of item requests is to not to have to bother where every single item goes. When needed, it just gets ordered.
Only thing you need to take care of is that there is enough space overall and to bring "trash items" you won't ever request back in the production line via blue chest.

abordoli
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by abordoli »

Yeah, I see your point. I'll have to think of a better case when it comes to me again (started a new world) and I see the bots wasting their time moving items from red chests to blue chests needlessly.

Sneaker2
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sneaker2 »

@ Yes please, I know what u mean.

The problem is quite annoying. if you set up requester and provider chests just for your personal needs it also creates its own little logisitc-network. while requesting and dumping only occurs from time to time, the 2 chests will get serviced constantly. And that can result in the provider chest being emtpy all the time.

So a solution would be a 5th chest which only offers the contens to the players or only recieves items from the players (either way, but it has to be exclusive). another solution would be that you get a little menu at the chests with which you could select the reciever/provider (player/chest).

Factory Lobster
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Factory Lobster »

JimBarracus wrote:Why even bother with where the items are stored.
You request them by bot anyway.
No, the OP has a legitimate argument. Where you store the items is important, even in a bot network.

In Friday Fact post 191: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-191
It is mentioned that the devs are interested in giving players the ability to place ghost items if they in fact have 0 of that item in their inventory. If you do this in your network, construction bots will place that for you. Imagine if you have a very large base, and your passive provider chest for that item is ridiculously far away? Same for if you are doing something like laying down solar blueprints (with roboport) far away from base and you want materials to be buffered locally.

You will want to have passive provider depots located around a large base. The best way to do this would be to set up requester chests far away from the source, but then there is no way to get the items out of those chests and into your provider network (unless you implement some kind of overly complicated circuit setup).

abordoli
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by abordoli »

Phew! I thought I was way off the mark and didn't know how to play the game for a moment there...j/k.

Yeah, I hate the overly complex solutions that barely improve the situation just to fix what could easily be fixed by a 5th type of chest. I like the Sneaker2's name for it ... "Player Chest"!
~B

Factory Lobster
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

abordoli wrote:Yeah, I hate the overly complex solutions that barely improve the situation just to fix what could easily be fixed by a 5th type of chest. I like the Sneaker2's name for it ... "Player Chest"!
~B
Why not just have a logistic chest with programmable conditions, like how automated train instructions work at train stops? For example, if solar panels = 0 then the chest becomes a requester chest. If solar panels = 4800 then the chest becomes a provider chest.

Factory Lobster
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

abordoli, I just found this video segment that offers a solution to our problem without using circuit logic:

https://youtu.be/4NndX_vGfRs?t=1531

It's a clever solution to the supply depot problem. The potential downside is that you must split up your logistics network to do this, which isn't a bad idea anyway if you are working over a very large area.

abordoli
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by abordoli »

Factory Lobster wrote:
abordoli wrote:Yeah, I hate the overly complex solutions that barely improve the situation just to fix what could easily be fixed by a 5th type of chest. I like the Sneaker2's name for it ... "Player Chest"!
~B
Why not just have a logistic chest with programmable conditions, like how automated train instructions work at train stops? For example, if solar panels = 0 then the chest becomes a requester chest. If solar panels = 4800 then the chest becomes a provider chest.
Wow! I didn't know you could do that! Some sort of blue-print magic?

abordoli
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by abordoli »

Factory Lobster wrote:abordoli, I just found this video segment that offers a solution to our problem without using circuit logic:

https://youtu.be/4NndX_vGfRs?t=1531

It's a clever solution to the supply depot problem. The potential downside is that you must split up your logistics network to do this, which isn't a bad idea anyway if you are working over a very large area.
Ah, yes. I have seen that method and am actually planning such a thing in my next world along with Chunk-Sized-Roboports, the mod that adds the smaller roboports and another mod that makes the roboport supply and construction area identical. Thanks for reminding me!

Factory Lobster
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

abordoli wrote:Why not just have a logistic chest with programmable conditions, like how automated train instructions work at train stops? For example, if solar panels = 0 then the chest becomes a requester chest. If solar panels = 4800 then the chest becomes a provider chest.

Wow! I didn't know you could do that! Some sort of blue-print magic?
You can't. I was making another suggestion on deaf ears ;)

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

If your base is so large you are struggling to build stuff by robots in a decent time you either have to little bots or your network is simply to big. Or both.

It's better to supply building sites which are literally off the grid by Train. Don't be afraid to split up your logistic Network.

For my main base I have 5 seperate Networks, one for each wall and one for the working area with item Transfer from the center to the walls.

abordoli
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by abordoli »

Not struggling. Just annoyed with unproductive bots shuffling things around unnecessarily.

I do like the idea of the 4 wall networks and a center one in the middle.

Thxs!

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”