Multiplayer Modded Server auto download mods

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

jamilnielsen
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Multiplayer Modded Server auto download mods

Post by jamilnielsen »

Im sure you already know but at less we keep reminding you, im sure it will never get fixed.
multiplayer still got plenty of work to be done, and i'd like if the essentials got in place before we start "decorating" the game as you so put it.
here's the issue.
A: Griefing is way too easy and very hard to prevent without mods(with got its own problems)
B: as im sure you can imagine, this game supports mods, but its used too little on multiplayer due to clients having to manually download, toggle, and manage mods, while you and i, and many others understand that stuff and "to some degree" enjoy it, i cannot stretch how flawed it is to have a game that has modding be this close to being a core feature.
here's the problem, factorio takes alot of time, we all know this, but it only takes 1 person to join server with no admin present to ruin everything, this could be prevented by either
1: Server Side Modifications or
2: Auto Download Mods from Download server/host (personally i hope you go for how garry's mod have done this, it works very well, i just hope you don't go down the road of making host upload mods to every visitor, because factorio is already a very heavy drain server side...

If this gets implemented i can assure you that Factorio will see a massive boost in popularity as all sorts of creative server setups become possible.
making a base takes hours, breaking it takes minutes, and those few minutes can be all that makes people leave, and i assure you its one of the big bottlenecks at this moment.

and yes, i know its tough making this stuff work, but this in my opinion SHOULD be a priority.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Multiplayer Modded Server auto download mods

Post by Koub »

Like in
Allow loading games with different mod settings (and automatically download the mods if necessary)
?

Source : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=678

The thing is : if the host has mods thare not on the mod portal, how do you want the clients to find them ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

jamilnielsen
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by jamilnielsen »

then output a message saying "please manually download mods"
or make an API that outputs a signal to the client, as to what method A or B should be used, and if not default download location, then P2P or Alternate path for download.
as a programmer myself, i can hardly see how this is a problem, you have an API, expand upon it, if security is a risk make a dialog box saying that "server wishes to download files from 3rd party location"
after all, the most secure way to download/upload without viruses is to have one service that got virus detection.

mophydeen
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mophydeen »

this is exactly the reason why I made SL-extended. It just works in multiplayer. No need to download mods, sync them through dropbox etc..
Also the mod.factorio.com is soooo sssslloowww.

jamilnielsen
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by jamilnielsen »

you know there's a problem when people start modding your game fixing issues with python programming or similar.
think of how badly the community easily can get split due to such things.

mophydeen
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mophydeen »

jamilnielsen wrote:you know there's a problem when people start modding your game fixing issues with python programming or similar.
think of how badly the community easily can get split due to such things.
lua :)

deef0000dragon1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by deef0000dragon1 »

So, "Allow loading games with different mod settings (and automatically download the mods if necessary)" is in the road map, but it appears that with the release of 0.16.1 it is not yet implemented. I can understand this and was wondering if it was pushed it 0.17, or just later in 0.16.x. Its a feature that, as someone who plays a number of different maps with different mod packs, I am looking forward to, so I was just wondering.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”