[0.15] Deconstruct all except trees/rocks

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Deconstriction planner: "Trees only" to include Stone Rocks

Post by Aeternus »

The Deconstruction Planner filter "Trees only" is very handy if you want to clear some terrain objects to make room for construction or just want a road to drive through. However, "Stone Rocks" have been omitted from this filter.
Change the filter to "Clear Natural Objects" and include the Stone Rocks, so that it becomes a basic terrain bulldozer filter?

threephi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Deconstruction planner: everything except trees

Post by threephi »

It would be great if there were a fast way to set the deconstruction planner to ignore trees, as there is when selecting "trees only" when you want to deforest an area.

It seems asymmetric and inconsistent that the deconstruction planner can whitelist all trees with a single click, but blacklisting them requires over 40 clicks to tediously select 21 different entities from the environment tab.

I can think of a few ways this could be implemented:

1) Most useful: break out the "environment" sub-category from the entities tab into a top-level tab of its own, with a drop down list as exists for tiles: normal, never, always, and only. This is the most efficient and intuitive from a gameplay perspective as it would allow the same deconstruction planner to also filter for other entities, just as it already does when whitelisting/blacklisting tiles. Also, I'm not sure why the player-character might want to individually select from each and every variety of tree and rock, but perhaps I am missing something. To that end, perhaps all the trees and all the rocks could be collected into single icons for this purpose.

2) Less useful: Rename the checkbox from "trees only" to "trees", and allow the selection for whitelist/blacklist to apply. Maybe this is a little easier to implement?

I hope the devs will consider this as I believe it will make the deconstruction planner more intuitive and useful.

Thanks, and congrats on making such a fantastic game.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Deconstruction planner: everything except trees

Post by ssilk »

Merged posts.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.15] Deconstruct all except trees/rocks

Post by Therax »

Request:

Allow the Deconstruction planner to be set to Blacklist mode while the Trees/rocks only checkbox is active.

Rationale:

Frequently I will want to remove structures over a large area without removing trees or rocks in the selection box. This happens especially often when revising a rail layout. I can currently do with with the 0.15 deconstruction planner by opening it, setting a filter for every tree & rock type, and setting the toggle to Blacklist. This is necessary because when the existing "Trees/rocks only" checkbox is active, the deconstruction planner locks to Whitelist mode.

It would be nice to be able to use Blacklist together with Trees/rocks only (possibly changing the label to "Trees/rocks excluded" for clarity), rather than managing multiple deconstruction planners.
Miniloader — UPS-friendly 1x1 loaders
Bulk Rail Loaders — Rapid train loading and unloading
Beltlayer & Pipelayer — Route items and fluids freely underground

_alphaBeta_
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.15] Deconstruct all except trees/rocks

Post by _alphaBeta_ »

I was also looking for this. Only workaround I see is to blacklist every individual tree type to the planner. Seems a waste of time with the checkbox and white/blacklist slider right there.

BlackKnight
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BlackKnight »

I don't understand why every tree and rock type is available. Just make 1 rock and 1 tree refer to all within the deconstruction planner. Then situations like this would be solved very simply.

TLDR; Simplify deconstruction planner's filters for rocks and trees

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

I don't see why you'd necessarily want to keep trees but okay, if you're trying to remove rail rather than blacklisting trees why not whitelist your rails, signals, etc, it'd be super awesome though if you could drop a blueprint on the whitelist/blacklist grid and then the items (or at least the biggest 30) would get added to the deconstruct planner, 1 click multiple uses.

Also the granularity is awesome in some ways it allows you to get rid of trees that displease you or keep ones you like.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

JohnyDL wrote:I don't see why you'd necessarily want to keep trees
Trees are amongst the best pollution absorbers (apart from the biter/spitter spawners, but the spawners spawn biters/spitters in compensation of the pollution absorbed)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

and there I was clearing swathes of forest oops XD 1300 hours into the game I still just see them as an obstacle for a good factory XD

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Maybe you don't have the inventory space for 1000000 trees. :) Sadly you can not put them back somewhere else after harvesting trees and rocks. I want to plant my own forest.

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

Instead of the current toggle, it should be a selectable type, like the "ghost entity" or "item on ground".
special icon.jpg
special icon.jpg (316.34 KiB) Viewed 7813 times

mophydeen
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mophydeen »

I have 2 deconstruction planners in my inventory:
- normal deconstruction planner
- deconstruction planner which sets all trees except the dead ones. (I like to remove dead trees and rocks)

I'd like a way to just add this deconstruction planner to my blueprintbook.

_alphaBeta_
Inserter
Inserter

Post by _alphaBeta_ »

mophydeen wrote:I'd like a way to just add this deconstruction planner to my blueprintbook.
Yes! I was also going to suggest this as well. Deconstruction planners can now become very customized and it seems silly to have to recreate them for every game. This is especially considering the blueprint library we have now.

deer_buster
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deer_buster »

_alphaBeta_ wrote:
mophydeen wrote:I'd like a way to just add this deconstruction planner to my blueprintbook.
Yes! I was also going to suggest this as well. Deconstruction planners can now become very customized and it seems silly to have to recreate them for every game. This is especially considering the blueprint library we have now.
Quoted for truth

+1

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

deer_buster wrote:
_alphaBeta_ wrote:
Quoted for truth

+1
We also need renaming and customizing icons...

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

BlackKnight
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BlackKnight »

Better still, allow a drop down of saved filter presets for a single deconstruction planner. This would save hunting for a specific filter. If deconstruction planners were made to be exported the string would have to include the saved preset list within them.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

I would like for the list of trees / rocks to have an "Any" icon. That way a single click would add all of them to a filter while preserving the ability to be more selective.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

BlackKnight wrote:I don't understand why every tree and rock type is available. Just make 1 rock and 1 tree refer to all within the deconstruction planner. Then situations like this would be solved very simply.

Because it's presenting a list of all deconstructable entities and uses the entity ID to do the filtering. Every rock and tree is unique and so it shows up as its own option in the list of "all entities". Even more that's important when you add mods in that use the different types for different things.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

BlackKnight
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BlackKnight »

Rseding91 wrote:
BlackKnight wrote:I don't understand why every tree and rock type is available. Just make 1 rock and 1 tree refer to all within the deconstruction planner. Then situations like this would be solved very simply.

Because it's presenting a list of all deconstructable entities and uses the entity ID to do the filtering. Every rock and tree is unique and so it shows up as its own option in the list of "all entities". Even more that's important when you add mods in that use the different types for different things.
Fair enough, somehow I expected that. Yet, it should still be possible to group all IDs into a single entity referenceable entity as Trees or Rocks and display that for selection instead - just like the All Rocks and Trees toggle - and still allow listings of new individual entity IDs associated with mods. Of course they (all tree and rock) could just be replaced by the All Rock and Tree toggle, or merged into a single icon for trees and another for rocks.

Though if you decide to keep the icons, something that bothers me even more than the above is the messy look of the tree and rock list as some of the icons for for both types look identical to eachother -- which make them look like needless duplicates. So at least merging these together or differentiating would be better than what is currently available IMO... Thanks

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

How about the deconstruction planners have access to the "fast replace" categories.
For the icons they could use 4 random icons of the entities in the group. Then we could deconstruct all chest or all inserters etc.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”