Allow replacing belt segment with a splitter

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

jzr
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Allow replacing belt segment with a splitter

Post by jzr »

I find myself often needing to put a splitter on an existing belt, but while you can replace belts with each other, you can't replace a belt with a splitter. This strikes me as inconsistent and counterintuitive -- I find myself often trying to build a splitter over a belt and being momentarily confused that it doesn't work.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Allow replacing belt segment with a splitter

Post by steinio »

+1

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

going to point Nexela at this, Picker Extended allows you to do this idea with undergrounds and I think adding this to that mod would be useful and a proof of concept.

Nemoricus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nemoricus »

This would be very handy. +1

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

JohnyDL wrote:going to point Nexela at this, Picker Extended allows you to do this idea with undergrounds and I think adding this to that mod would be useful and a proof of concept.
Can you please also ask about pipe to underground pipe replacement o_O :idea:

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

I believe that's already in the mod Steinio :) but next time I spot him on discord I'll mention it if it's not there

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

DO want.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

jzr
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jzr »

JohnyDL wrote:going to point Nexela at this, Picker Extended allows you to do this idea with undergrounds and I think adding this to that mod would be useful and a proof of concept.
That would be nice, thanks. :)
Although looking at that mod, it's in a dire need of splitting up.
Having a feature in a mod can tell devs which features are popular, but that doesn't work when said mod contains gazillion small unrelated things. :D

mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mp0011 »

Its part of game - You need to mine belts using Your pickaxe...

It would be nice however, if You do not need to point Your mouse to both belt sections You need to delete - You should just hold right mouse button, and both belts under splitter outline should be mined, one by one.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

@jzr Honestly that's the mishmash of mods that people have asked for on the discord, all of them QoLs, none add new items, and some of the code overlaps I'm sure. The original picker is basically now in the game 0.15 reviver, dollies, blueprinter and crafter flowed from that. The zapper was thanks to overflowing with blueprints by clearing blueprinter's named blueprint because I for one use the blueprinter rather than the standard picker once I get personal bots anyways and having an item count is always super useful. Suddenly we have the mishmash of stuff before finally getting to the belt awesomeness at the end of the list. Maybe it could be separated but honestly I don't see a single thing in there that I'd now be without having used it. (and there are hopefully soon going to be even more features)

In some ways I you're right specific mods do tell the devs what components are popular on the other hand there's Bob's Mods which goes too far the other way and yeah there are components that are useful without being specifically Bob's but the other 8 or 9 are only ever really get played together. In this case I think keeping them together is also a bonus, there's not a thing you look at it and go "I don't want to play with that in my game" and there are things that you might not realise are useful but are brought to because of something else and they become indispensable once you've got access to them. Almost every item in this mod does that (for me at least) while Nanobots (another Nexela mod) is something that can be polarising some people love early game bots others don't and would avoid a mod that contained them even if there was useful stuff in there they want to use, it also adds a set of items and research to the game that're all interlinked without references elsewhere so it's cleaner to add them together. Don't know, but I can tell you I love this mod and having it as one mod not lots of tiny modules works for me.

@MP0011 it is part of the game and it isn't, you don't need to mine a belt to upgrade it, like you don't need to mine an assembler to upgrade it, given that the splitter is basically a belt in some functions it kinda makes sense for the hot swaps. On the other hand swapping only the item that's in hand can be useful too, if you have a bunch of splitters and belts in a line it's really nice to run along change the splitters separate from the belt (And isn't that the point of this forum to suggest things not in the game that make the game better)

mp0011
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mp0011 »

But, to be consequent, also splitteras and underground belts should be replaced when placing regular belts on top of it.. i see lot of potential for missclicks here.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

Yes it is something new to get used to but the underground and overground is really really useful already and I don't notice that it's any more difficult now after 50 or so hours getting used to it than it was before I had the option.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Along with overwriting belts by splitters (which I do support wholeheartedly) I would like to see splitters and belt in blueprints overwrite existing belts. Would be awesome as well!

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by malventano »

mp0011 wrote:Its part of game - You need to mine belts using Your pickaxe...

It would be nice however, if You do not need to point Your mouse to both belt sections You need to delete - You should just hold right mouse button, and both belts under splitter outline should be mined, one by one.
If implemented, the splitter should simply auto-mine/replace the two belts under its current placing location.
Allyn Malventano
---
Want to improve fluid flow between pumps / across longer distances? Try my Manifolds mod.

JohnyDL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JohnyDL »

PacifyerGrey wrote:Along with overwriting belts by splitters (which I do support wholeheartedly) I would like to see splitters and belt in blueprints overwrite existing belts. Would be awesome as well!
See upgrade planner mod :) another super useful one

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”