Add ability to blueprint trains

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Add ability to blueprint trains

Post by factoriouzr »

As stated in the subject. This will allow robots to place and remove trains from rails and also paste train settings like colour, cargo wagon filters, insert items into train equipment grids etc.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Add ability to blueprint trains

Post by ssilk »

This is a good idea, no question. The idea of a train depot (like in OpenTTD) is here since about 2 years.

But how will you achieve that? How will you tell the robots where to place which train.
More flesh, please. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

onebit
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by onebit »

The train rolls out of a rail connected to an assembler, like fluid outputs.

The assembler has a station name. When a train goes there it is eaten.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Why wouldn't they just be included in the original blueprint like anything else? If you blueprint a station and don't want the train there you can simply remove it from the blueprint, that's a feature now. Then when you drop down a blueprint containing a train it lays the rails then drops the train on top as per the blueprint.

I think the tidiest bit about this is you know the train will be placed exactly at the station, no switching it to auto mode to get it lined up.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Melfish
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Melfish »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:Why wouldn't they just be included in the original blueprint like anything else? If you blueprint a station and don't want the train there you can simply remove it from the blueprint, that's a feature now. Then when you drop down a blueprint containing a train it lays the rails then drops the train on top as per the blueprint.
We can already choose if we want to include wires, modules or path in our blueprints, so a train should be fine.

Minor point is that the train should also get filled with coal after it gets placed, so it can immediately start its rounds.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:Why wouldn't they just be included in the original blueprint like anything else? If you blueprint a station and don't want the train there you can simply remove it from the blueprint, that's a feature now. Then when you drop down a blueprint containing a train it lays the rails then drops the train on top as per the blueprint.

I think the tidiest bit about this is you know the train will be placed exactly at the station, no switching it to auto mode to get it lined up.

This is exactly what my suggestion is about. I just want to blueprint trains with blueprints :). Then you just have a checkbox like for the other entities to include trains on those tracks or not. When you place a blueprint, the track is laid down, then if there are trains, the trains are put on the track.

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

Can I do a +100 upvote.

If nothing else comes out of 0.15 but this feature it would be the best patch so far, so long as they could also be marked for deconstruction.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

BenSeidel wrote:Can I do a +100 upvote.

If nothing else comes out of 0.15 but this feature it would be the best patch so far, so long as they could also be marked for deconstruction.
Yes, yes you can :)

hyspeed
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by hyspeed »

I would love to set the filters on the cargo wagon from a blueprint.

Currently, when I move to a new save, I have to create a screenshot of my specialty trains (solar, combat, outpost), then manually put these filters into the new wagon.
I only do this once per map, so it isn't something I paste repeatedly, but a one time setting as part of a new map - so the value is not high.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Don't include coal with the blueprint. Build the train at a station that includes coal loading.

Also let us make station schedules that require at least x coalfuel before they are willing to continue.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Roxor128
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Roxor128 »

Ranakastrasz wrote:Also let us make station schedules that require at least x coalfuel before they are willing to continue.
Yes, that would be nice to have. Right now, I use a workaround of including a 5-second wait to ensure it gets at least some fuel.

Factorie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factorie »

Definitely would be nice. +1

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AileTheAlien »

In my experience, you only build a lot of trains if they're unfiltered trains that do bulk cargo transport, and the trains with filtered cargo slots are one-off trains for a specific task.

I'd rather have time spent on other features in the game.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

Thanks for the mod suggestion.

This feature is still needed in the base game. Any update on this?

Skeletpiece
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Skeletpiece »

Not exactly a blueprint, but I suggested a similar idea...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56781

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

Now that blueprints are being reworked/improved, can we have this feature?

I think it's really badly needed when working with trains to be able to blueprint all their settings for the locomotives and wagons an place them down/pick them up with robots, along with a way to create and manage schedules and assign schedules to trains.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Would definitely be useful in the case of my mod where your train contains a full set of grid equipment. Can be quite tedious configuring every locomotive and wagon's equipment.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Hive
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hive »

placing a train by hand is not the hard part, but to configure it could be, like bob sad, fillup the wagons with fixed slots for example. You have to do it in every map once and than you can copy it there ever you need to. It would be lovly to have something like a dummy object that can be programmt like a train or wagon, but is placed like a chest. So you can copy from it.

Lets say you make a complex station with a long train and want to give a default setup with the blueprint ... you could add such a dummy object next to the station so everyone can just copy it after playcing it down. this object is handeled like everything else and can be placed by bots. But a dummy object issnt really fun, it looks like a workaround, so lets think a bit further

Lets say it is a Memory cell where i can include train and wagon setups that could be send via Circuit network. This way i could send it to the train in the connected station and replaycing the old setup. Offcause we have to get a way configure that memory cell in the Circuit network. This way we get the oportunitie to setup our trains, not only for a blueprint but also in a running map on a constant bases. This way we can make crazy train setups where we send a train via a logical system anywere we need it, by reprogramming the train on the fly.

If we took this idea we can say, lets save anything in this memory cell, so i can programm also assambler and chests (like the active requester chest)... this would be allow to change the recepie of an connected assambler and this way we could build also crazy setups that switches to what we might need the most.

i think this could be done with the Constand Combinator or with the entire Circuit network right now if you add a few additions. The hardes part would be to get an order of all the signals for a train, i dont have a solution for that right now without adding a new type of combinator or adding the stuff as a sequenze.

i hope that could help

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

As I said in the original post, the blueprinting would include the train settings. It should include all train settings, schedule, cargo wagon filters, colour, grid contents etc. This is a much needed feature as setting up trains over and over is very time consuming and tedious. It's also easy to make a mistake.

I have also thought of ideas to have trains, vehicles and factories configurable from the circuit network and automatically deployable. I made a few posts on this topic in the past. As such I would really love to have the ability to change train schedules, factory recipes etc from the circuit network.

I would also like the ability to have a vehicle factory and train factory/depot that can deploy vehicles and trains automatically based on circuit network/logistics network conditions.

I would also love it if each roboport had the option to request x logistics and x construction bots to always be docked at it so that the user can use the circuit network to remove excess robots in an automatable way. Right now the only allowed solution almost never works in a large base because of where robots choose to land. Roboports should also have a "release" slot and when inserting into roboports, the robots should go into the "release" slot and be released immediately and have to find their own place to land if not needed. This would solve the issue with not being able to insert more robots into a roboport when it's full.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”