Train waypoint/(no)stop feature request

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

tomch
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Train waypoint/(no)stop feature request

Post by tomch »

So I'm building a(n overly complicated, for sure, ) train network and one thing that I find missing is a way to direct trains to particular routes.

The reasoning is simple: with many paths between several stations, path finder usually uses the shortest one - which may be the most congested, or maybe not entirely optimal (considering crossings/roundabouts, bypasses, and fastpaths in between). A simple train waypoint item would be great to allow manual optimization of some more complicated routes.

Right now I can direct the train manually by using a train stop with "0 seconds passed" condition - but it still requires the train to stop fully on the location, using space for an otherwise unnecessary bypass or risking blocking other traffic in more confined locations. I suppose another special wait condition "pass" or "no stop" would work for this, assuming the train wouldn't stop (or even slow down, preferably).

Also - is there some special (sub)forum for feature requests? Was it already suggested in some shape or form? Am I missing some way to accomplish this already?

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Train waypoint/(no)stop feature request

Post by daniel34 »

tomch wrote:Also - is there some special (sub)forum for feature requests? Was it already suggested in some shape or form? Am I missing some way to accomplish this already?
Yes, there is, moved to Ideas and Suggestions.

Several Ideas around train routes / pathfinder have already been collected here, where I've added yours:
Control Train Pathfinder (Passthru stations, Add Penalty)
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

tomch
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by tomch »

daniel34 wrote:
tomch wrote:Also - is there some special (sub)forum for feature requests? Was it already suggested in some shape or form? Am I missing some way to accomplish this already?
Yes, there is, moved to Ideas and Suggestions.

Several Ideas around train routes / pathfinder have already been collected here, where I've added yours:
Control Train Pathfinder (Passthru stations, Add Penalty)
Thanks!

OdinYggd
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OdinYggd »

+1 for a train waypoint capability that causes trains to pass by that point without stopping.

Along similar lines, would it be possible to add an option to the train route planning that makes the train pathfind in reverse to that station?

Doing so would finally allow a single engine train to work a short line in both directions with no turning loops, although at a speed penalty in reverse.

It would also be possible to program the trains to correctly negotiate a Wye in order to turn themselves around without a loop.

Using a checkbox or some sort of player-input direction specification in the route planner would avoid the CPU burden of having to pathfind in both directions, since it would only have to pathfind in the player specified direction.
In my mind, Steam is the eternal king of the railway.

IV 
Inserter
Inserter

Post by IV  »

Letting trains go backwards to stations may not be so nice. See viewtopic.php?f=71&t=26719 .

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

i'm using 0 second option also or sidetracking (to avoid inserters), but to completely pass station at full speed might be nice, especially if it's loading station, inserters still try to put stuff in, when you stop even for 0 sec.

OdinYggd
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OdinYggd »

IV  wrote:Letting trains go backwards to stations may not be so nice. See viewtopic.php?f=71&t=26719 .
Which is why you make it so that they can only do this when the programmed schedule specifies they are to approach the destination in reverse.

Like so the player expects the train to arrive backwards at that location, and designs the station accordingly.

This eliminates the CPU overhead of having to try pathfinding in both directions- it only has to pathfind in the player-specified direction.

It also makes it so that the train will not arrive backwards at the station unless the player has incorrectly specified for it to do so.
In my mind, Steam is the eternal king of the railway.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”