Get rid of Pickaxe tool ☸

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

CorrettoSambuca
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Get rid of Pickaxe tool

Post by CorrettoSambuca »

Instead of having differenti tiers of pickaxes, remove the tool slot altogether and instead create a couple techs that increase the player's mining speed, for example.

syneris
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by syneris »

The way it is now allows for future upgrades and more flexibility with mods. If not already there, a tool tag should be added to objects. The source tool would need the same tags (one or all?) as the target object in order to operate. Expanding the mod functionality of the tool slot would let modders use the slot for much more than mining. You'd be able to change the entire system to need specific tools per job like mentioned, add new tools like a hand operated oil pump, or impose restrictions such as needing a certain key to operate a special car. Maybe even expand it to armor so you couldn't handle radioactive materials your mod puts in without wearing a shielded hazmat suit.

Coolthulhu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Coolthulhu »

syneris wrote:The way it is now allows for future upgrades and more flexibility with mods. If not already there, a tool tag should be added to objects. The source tool would need the same tags (one or all?) as the target object in order to operate. Expanding the mod functionality of the tool slot would let modders use the slot for much more than mining. You'd be able to change the entire system to need specific tools per job like mentioned, add new tools like a hand operated oil pump, or impose restrictions such as needing a certain key to operate a special car. Maybe even expand it to armor so you couldn't handle radioactive materials your mod puts in without wearing a shielded hazmat suit.
Still, the pickaxe slot in player's inventory adds nothing to the game. Neither does the pickaxe tool itself.

The idea of manually equipping tools only makes sense when there's an ambiguity in tool usage. For example: do I want to want to repair this building or deconstruct it.
When one tool is strictly better than the other, it is obvious that you want to use the better one. Chainsaw is better than pickaxe when chopping trees, so requiring the player to manually equip it when clicking trees is bad design.

Single pickaxe slot is both deficient and redundant at the same time. Deficient, because you can only put one tool there, which means multiple tools would force you to do the tedious inventory swapping. Redundant, because so far all it does could be easily replaced with either research (+x% digging speed) or having items on belt and using them like repair pack.

syneris
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by syneris »

Again, that only applies to the core game. Couldn't the same be said for the armor slot? They are all just direct upgrades, so should we remove it too?

Coolthulhu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Coolthulhu »

It's not as trivial with the armor slot, because of modular armors.

syneris
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by syneris »

What about modular tools then? If armor can have it, the functionality can certainly be expanded to tools.

Stripping this out of the game offers no benefit at all, yet would remove a lot of potential modability.

Coolthulhu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Coolthulhu »

In its current state it's a placeholder that hasn't been yet removed. It adds nothing to the game and no major mod uses it in any way that wouldn't be solved better with upgrades and/or inventory scan.

As for modability, it could be useful to have an arbitrary number of "equip slots" that would be accessible to scripts and UI and expose modular-armor like capabilities, but:
1. It is just a hypothesis that it could be useful. No evidence for this potential usefulness has been shown so far.
2. It would do nothing to redeem the pickaxe tool and all its possible replacements like chainsaws and quick building removers.
3. It would be solved better with a custom scripted UI.
4. It would be extra work to make bloat turn into something possibly useful instead of removing something currently useless.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Nooooo, i live pickaxe and axe and shovels, whatever tool you give me, i'll love it. ;D

CorrettoSambuca
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CorrettoSambuca »

Actually I really like the idea of "modular tools".
Any modders out there with more competence than me who want to give it a try?

warmadmax
Inserter
Inserter

Post by warmadmax »

*ahem*

Dytech Tools with its modular tool construction
and

F-Mod with its electric drill

are two examples of mods i know already that have custom tools
i agree with the stance that taking out the "tools" slot would reduce future modability.

the pickaxe in vanila... hmmm why not just call it "iron tools", would cover chopping down trees etc...
same thing when you advance to Steel.

maybe late game there should be "electric tools", recipe example : electric motor + 4 batteries + adv. circuit + steel = electric drill, impact driver etc... those should just need a recharge to operate? whether this is batteries used as ammo or charging off the power armour?

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

Since they cost batteries to use, I'd just assume their durability is their battery charge.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”