Hand crafting should pause if your inventory is full

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Hand crafting should pause if your inventory is full

Post by factoriouzr »

Queue up hand crafting say 50-100 belts (say in groups of 5) by right clicking on it multiple times. Now fill up your inventory and toolbar by deconstructing trees, or picking up stuff from a chest for example and have your personal robots bring them to you. Now walk around the factory and you will notice that your character keeps dropping belts everywhere you walk and making a big mess.

This should not happen. When hand crafting is about to place something in your inventory and it realizes your inventory is full, it should pause all hand crafting and wait to place the crafted items until there is room in your inventory. As soon as there is room, it should place the items. Ie. you shouldn't lose what you were crafting, it should just be cached in memory till you have inventory space.

Construction robots do a similar thing and keep holding the item and following you until you have room in your inventory.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Hand crafting should pause if your inventory is full

Post by bobingabout »

I agree it is a bit of an annoyance.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

That's not a bug. That's a feature request.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

Rseding91 wrote:That's not a bug. That's a feature request.

I think it's open to interpretation if it's a bug or not. But you can leave it in ideas and suggestions.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

factoriouzr wrote:

I think it's open to interpretation if it's a bug or not. But you can leave it in ideas and suggestions.
No it's not. We literally define if something is a bug or not. I say it's not a bug therefor it's not a bug.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

Rseding91 wrote:
factoriouzr wrote:

No it's not. We literally define if something is a bug or not. I say it's not a bug therefor it's not a bug.
wow

ThaPear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ThaPear »

factoriouzr wrote:
Not much interpretation there, since it's not a bug if it's intended to be as it is.

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

factoriouzr wrote:
Either something is WAI (Working As Intended) or it is not. If it is not, it is a bug (or has been since actual computer problems caused by organic bugs dying inside the workings ceased to be a problem), making your original post a feature request, regardless of your opinion/interpretation. Words have meaning, they need to be learned accurately.
- GD

Sorry if my posts are becoming difficult to read, my typing ability is rapidly deteriorating due to a nerve disorder. I try to clean them up before posting but don't always get every last typo.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Off-Topic

Well, Rseding is "not completely incorrect" 8-) (even if he is not very diplomatic in explaining things :) ). Definiton of bug (as I learned it in University) is
- Software does something, which is not awaited.
- Software does not something, which is awaited.

The problem here is: Player awaits, that software does X, but does not --> Bug.

Well, that's not how this works. :) Software has to be specified, before it is programmed. And if that differs, then it is a bug. Otherwise a customer who bought a new coffee-machine comes and say: I have this coffee-machine and it makes coffee, but I though it brings the coffee also to my bed in morning. It's a bug!! :)

So: This is an issue, not a bug. And so it belongs to suggestions. Which doesn't mean, that it won't be fixed.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

mattj256
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mattj256 »

The development team decides what they're going to work on and what is a priority, what is expected behavior and what is not. The forum is an opportunity for us to influence the developers but it's not a democracy. In general I'm very pleased with the prioritization -- after 0.14 was released there was a bug that made the game unplayable on Linux and this was quickly fixed even though Linux is probably a tiny percent of their user base.

I agree with the OP that the behavior of hand crafting and construction robots is annoying when your inventory is full.

Ssilk maybe you can deal with the diplomacy issue somehow? We all want the developers to spend most of their time making the game better. We all want to feel valued, regardless of whether our suggestions get implemented or not.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Still off-topic.
mattj256 wrote:Ssilk maybe you can deal with the diplomacy issue somehow? We all want the developers to spend most of their time making the game better. We all want to feel valued, regardless of whether our suggestions get implemented or not.
Hm. It's not my job as moderator. As moderator I see my job to enable everybody to tell his opinion in a way, that nobody is hurt (too much 8-) ). On the other hand everybody is different, even the developers. So if person A says X and person B says exactly the same, it might be, that it doesn't mean the same. Because they are individuals! :)

Well, and my opinion plays also a role, and that is, that forums like this tend to forget, that on the other end are sitting real persons. And the interesting stuff doesn't happen with the words the person wrote (that's just letters and words), but with the things the persons really DOES and with the interaction between all of them.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

mattj256
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mattj256 »

Ok

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Don't take my comments the wrong way: this isn't a bug but I still like the idea and am going to look into implementing it for 0.15.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Implemented for 0.15.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

Rseding91 wrote:Implemented for 0.15.
Thanks

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”